Nachi Primeval Forest, a place of mountain god worship. Nachi Waterfall, 133 meters high, astonishes every visitor.
Nachisan, a generic name for the mountains surrounding Kumano Nachi Taisha Grand Shrine located upstream of the Nachi River in the southeast of Wakayama, is part of Yoshino-Kumano National Park. Its whole neighborhood is a timberland called Nachi primeval forest and has been revered as a place of asceticism for mountain god worshipers.
In the Nachisan area is the Kumano Nachi Taisha Grand Shrine having five Shinto buildings called "Kumano-Gongen" (avatar of Kumano) structure, which are important cultural properties of Japan and are the architectural style of the 8th through 10th century. Other places worth a visit include the Seiganto-ji Temple with a vermilion three-storied pagoda, a Nachisan's symbol, and the Hiro-jinja Shrine, the holy to worship the Nachi Waterfall, also known as "Ichi-no-taki", as what symbolizes the divine spirit. The three-storied pagoda of the Seiganto-ji Temple was reconstructed in 1972, and its view spot affords a full view of the Nachi waterfall.
Every summer, the Kumano Nachi Taisha Grand Shrine annual grand festival is staged. Known as "Fire Festival of Nachi (Nachi-no-Hi-Matsuri) ", it climaxes in the "purification of Ogi-mikoshi" that takes place at the stairways of Hiro-jinja Shrine, where twelve units of Ogi-mikoshi (1-meter-wide and 6-meter-long portable shrine decorated with fans) are "burned" by way of purification with the sparks from twelve giant torches weighing 50 kilograms that the bearers swing around as they go up and down the stone stairs.
[Rail] An hour and 40 minutes to Nagoya Station from Tokyo Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line. Three hours and 20 minutes from Nagoya Station to Kii-Katsuura Station by JR Kisei Honsen Line. Three hours and 30 minutes to Kii-Katsuura Station from Shin-Osaka by JR Kisei Honsen Line. Thirty minutes to Nachi-no-Taki-mae from Kii-Katsuura Station by Kumano Kotsu bus.
Around the Nachisan Area
More on the Nachisan Area
- Explore Wakayama in Japan Explore Wakayama in Japan
- Yoshino-Kumano National Park Yoshino-Kumano National Park
- Kumano Nachi Taisha Grand Shrine Kumano Nachi Taisha Grand Shrine
- World Heritage Site in Japan:Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range World Heritage Site in Japan:Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range
- Special Essence of Japan's Art & Culture:MATSURI Special Essence of Japan's Art & Culture:MATSURI
- Special Essence of Japan's Art & Culture:Forests of Japan's Holy Heartland Special Essence of Japan's Art & Culture:Forests of Japan's Holy Heartland
- Nachi-no-Hi-Matsuri Nachi-no-Hi-Matsuri