A sacred ground for mountain worship. Thick green forests, deep blue ocean waters and a varied coastline.
Wakayama expands from the center to the southernmost part of the Honshu Island (the mainland of Japan). The mysterious mountains on Wakayama have attracted many people as a sacred ground since ancient times.
The coastline has rows of precipitous cliffs, and the sea is studded with some 130 islands of all sizes. The mountains close to the coast have gone through numerous upheavals and submergences that formed complex topography. There are various types of oddly shaped and gigantic rocks around the ancient sacred ground in the mountains.
The climate is moderate. Wakayama is also blessed with many scenic spots, such as the Kumano Nachi Taisha Grand Shrine in Nachisan, the Hiro-jinja Shrine that worships the Nachi Waterfall, Koyasan, the 1,200-year-old sacred ground for Buddhism in Japan and surrounding Koya-Ryujin Quasi-National Park and Yoshino-Kumano National Park, and the Kino-kawa River that irrigates the Wakayama Plain. Walking the ancient Kumano Kodo is a fantastic way to experience Wakayama's spiritual countryside. Other must-sees are Shirahama Onsen, one of the most prominent hot springs in the Kansai region and the cityscape of Wakayama City that embraces the Wakayama Castle.
Things to Do
Wakayama's Cities & Regions
- Doro-kyo Gorge Area Doro-kyo Gorge Area
- Cape Hinomisaki/Dojo-ji Temple Cape Hinomisaki/Dojo-ji Temple
- Katsuura Area Katsuura Area
- Shingu Area Shingu Area
- Hongu Area Hongu Area
- Kushimoto Area Kushimoto Area
- Koyasan Area Koyasan Area
- Nachisan Area Nachisan Area
- Shirahama Area Shirahama Area
- Wakayama City Area Wakayama City Area
More on Wakayama Pref.
- Visit Wakayama - The Official Wakayama Travel Guide Visit Wakayama - The Official Wakayama Travel Guide
- Tanabe City Kumano Tourism Bureau Tanabe City Kumano Tourism Bureau
- Kansai Window Kansai Window
- Shirahama, Koyasan, Kumano-Kodo & Wakayama Prefecture [PDF] Shirahama, Koyasan, Kumano-Kodo & Wakayama Prefecture [PDF]
- List of Tourist Facilities in Wakayama List of Tourist Facilities in Wakayama
- World Heritage Site in Japan:Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range World Heritage Site in Japan:Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii Mountain Range
- Local Cuisine of the Kansai Region Local Cuisine of the Kansai Region
- Wakayama Electric Railway Wakayama Electric Railway