A castle town with a beautiful garden and museum. A crossroads for traffic in the Sanyo region.
Okayama is situated in the southern part of Okayama Prefecture. It is the center of administration and business for the prefecture, a central city in the Sanyo region, and a crossroads for traffic between the San-in region and Shikoku. Okayama thrived as a castle town from the 16th to 19th centuries. Okayama Castle, the Koraku-en Garden (one of the three major gardens in Japan), and a number of art museums are found here.
Okayama Castle, built in the 16th century, has another name, Ujo, or Raven Castle, because its black painted exterior is associated with ravens. The castle tower has been rebuilt, but the Tsukimi-yagura turret and other structures are original. The Koraku-en Garden, which took 14 years to complete in the 17th century, was the first lawn garden in Japan. The garden is 133,000 square meters, and visitors can view Okayama Castle.
The Okayama Prefectural Art Museum collects many works of art by artists from Okayama, and has a permanent exhibit of the works of Yasuo Kuniyoshi, who spent his life in the United States. The exhibit of the work of this early-20th-century poet/artist at the Takehisa Yumeji Museum is popular.
[Air] 1h 15 min from Haneda to Okayama Airport.
[Rail] 3h 20 min from Tokyo to Okayama Station by JR Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Line.
[Rail] 45 min from Shin-Osaka to Okayama Station by JR Sanyo Shinkansen.
Around the Okayama City
- Okayama City Tourist Information Office Tourist Information Offices Okayama City Tourist Information Office
- Momotaro Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Momotaro Tourist Information Center
- Okayama Korakuen Garden Japanese Gardens & Parks Okayama Korakuen Garden
- Okayama Castle Castles Okayama Castle
- Okayama-shiritsu Orient Bijutsukan Museums Okayama-shiritsu Orient Bijutsukan
- Okayama Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum) Museums Okayama Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum)
- Saidai-ji Eyo Hadaka Matsuri Festivals & Ceremonies Saidai-ji Eyo Hadaka Matsuri
More on the Okayama City
- Discover Okayama of Japan Discover Okayama of Japan
- Website of sightseeing in Okayama Website of sightseeing in Okayama
- Setonaikai National Park (Okayama Prefecture) Setonaikai National Park (Okayama Prefecture)
- Okayama, Kurashiki & Seto-Ohashi Bridge Okayama, Kurashiki & Seto-Ohashi Bridge
- Okayama Castle Okayama Castle
- Korakuen Garden Korakuen Garden
- Saidai-ji Eyo Hadaka Matsuri (Naked Festival at Saidai-ji Temple) Saidai-ji Eyo Hadaka Matsuri (Naked Festival at Saidai-ji Temple)