Seto Inland Sea, Seto-ohashi Bridge, Koraku-en Garden, and Okayama Castle.
Okayama is situated in the southeastern Chugoku region and faces the Seto Inland Sea. The mild climate and scant rainfall make Okayama ideal for growing grapes, peaches, and other fruits. The Chugoku Mountain Range extends in the north, the Kibi-kogen Highlands spread south of the mountains beyond the Tsuyama Basin, and the Okayama Plain faces the Seto Inland Sea in the south.
Okayama is endowed with abundant natural beauty, including the islands in the Seto Inland Sea, the Seto-ohashi Bridge that spans Honshu and Shikoku islands, Mt. Washu-zan (which overlooks them), and the Hiruzen-kogen Highlands in Daisen-Oki National Park. Other must-sees are Okayama Castle (noted for its unique black exterior), Kibitsu-jinja Shrine (which has a national treasure sanctuary and worship hall as well as the important cultural property Kita-zuishin-mon Gate), and many other historic sites and historical structures.
The Koraku-en Garden which is one of the three major gardens in Japan offers a beautiful view of Okayama Castle.
[Air] 1h 15 min from Haneda to Okayama Airport.
[Rail] 3h 20 min from Tokyo to Okayama Station by JR Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Line.
[Rail] 40 min from Shin-Osaka to Okayama Station by Shinkansen.
Things to Do
Okayama's Cities & Regions
- Bizen Bizen
- Hiruzen-kogen Highlands Area Hiruzen-kogen Highlands Area
- Niimi Area Niimi Area
- Kibiji Kibiji
- Kurashiki Area Kurashiki Area
- The Three Hot Springs of Mimasaka (Yubara, Okutsu, and Yunogo) The Three Hot Springs of Mimasaka (Yubara, Okutsu, and Yunogo)
- Okayama City Okayama City
- Seto-ohashi Bridge Area Seto-ohashi Bridge Area
- Tsuyama Tsuyama
More on Okayama Pref.
- Discover Okayama of Japan Discover Okayama of Japan
- Facebook Facebook
- Download tourist brochure Download tourist brochure
- Okayama International Villa Group Okayama International Villa Group
- Maniwa city Maniwa city
- Website of sightseeing in Kurashiki Website of sightseeing in Kurashiki
- Chugoku Region: Tourist Spots 【PDF 8.1MB】 Chugoku Region: Tourist Spots 【PDF 8.1MB】
- Chugoku Region: Model Routes 【PDF 7.6MB】 Chugoku Region: Model Routes 【PDF 7.6MB】
- Okayama, Kurashiki & Seto-Ohashi Bridge [PDF] Okayama, Kurashiki & Seto-Ohashi Bridge [PDF]