- Search Medical institutions
- How to use Medical institutions
- Symptoms and Treatment
- Travel Insurance
Search Medical institutions
Note: This list of medical institutions that can accept overseas visitors has been made based on the lists of medical institutions prepared by prefectures. The institutions were selected in accordance with the requirements set by the Japan Tourism Agency and the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japan.
- <Reference: Requirements for Selecting Medical Institutions>
- 1) Considering the number of overseas visitors and visits to medical institutions, select one or more hospitals that satisfy all of the following conditions.
-  They must accept emergency patients year-round, around the clock.
-  They must have multiple departments, including an emergency department, an internal medicine department, a surgery department and a pediatrics department. (There is the assumption that the hospitals be general hospitals.)
-  They must facilitate medical care at least in English (during office hours, doctors can communicate with patients in English or Japanese-English interpreters are available to facilitate medical care)
- 2) The selected institutions shall satisfy  to  above. If that selection returns too few institutions to serve the overseas visitors, then “medical institutions (including clinics) that can provide medical care in a foreign language” shall be selected.
- 3) The medical institutions shall be selected from among those that have been accredited by the Japan Medical Service Accreditation for International Patients (JMIP) and from among central hospitals that have deployed medical interpreters and medical coordinators for foreigners under the FY 2015 Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare “Project for Improving the Ability of Medical Institutions to Meet the Needs of Foreign Visitors”.
How to use Medical institutions
If you need an ambulance, show the sentence below to a nearby Japanese person so they will call one for you.
Be transported to an emergency care hospital in the event of a traffic accident or other emergency.
救急車を呼んでください。(Please call an ambulance.)
You cannot choose which hospital you will be brought to. Depending on your condition, you may be given treatment without being questioned, so it is important to fill out the sheet below. ★1
The medical care system varies by country. Avoid diﬃculties by learning about them in advance.
Ask for a general estimate of the treatment cost at reception.
*There is a limited number of medical institutions that can accommodate other languages.
Fill out medical sheet.
Receive doctor examination and treatment,
and receive a prescription.*1
Submit prescription to pharmacy and purchase medications.*3
*1 Be sure to listen carefully to the explanation of the examination results.
*2 Payment here is the cost for treatment received up to this point. Keep in mind that payment by credit card is only accepted at major hospitals. Clinics generally accept cash only.
With cash-free international travel medical insurance, no payments are necessary.
Note: The cash-free conditions vary by insurance company. Please check beforehand.
*3 You will be charged separately at the pharmacy for any medicine you need. Some medical institutions provide in-house prescriptions.
Symptoms and Treatment
|Primary symptoms||Diagnosis and treatment departments|
|Fever, sore throat, cough, runny nose||Internal Medicine|
|Headache||Internal Medicine, Neurosurgery|
|Chest pain||Cardiovascular Internal Medicine, Respiratory Internal Medicine|
|Abdominal pain||Internal Medicine, Gastroenterological Medicine,
Obstetrics & Gynecology
|Bloody vomit or stool||Internal Medicine, Gastroenterological Medicine|
|Diarrhea||Internal Medicine, Gastroenterological Medicine|
|Injury, wound||Surgery, Plastic Surgery|
|Bone fracture, joint pain||Orthopedic Surgery|
|Burns||Dermatology, Plastic Surgery, Surgery|
|Ears, nose, or throat||Otorhinolaryngology|
|Difficulty urinating, bloody urine, pain when urinating||Urology|
|During pregnancy (abdominal pain or bloating, spotting, water breakage, concerns about the baby)||Obstetrics/Gynecology|
|In emergencies||Emergency Medicine|
|Unsure what department to visit||General Diagnosis and Treatment|
You will feel safe in emergencies
if you have international travel medical insurance.
Enjoy your travels without worry.
*If you do not have insurance, you can get it after arriving in Japan.