Zojo-ji Temple

Zojo-ji was built in 1393 in the Kaizuka area of Edo (the present Kioi-cho area of Chiyoda-ku). In 1590, the future shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu moved to this area which he took as his new domain. After that, Zojo-ji and Kanei-ji in Ueno became the two temples where memorial services were held for the family of the Tokugawa shoguns.The vast temple precinct, which has an area of 85,000 sq m, contains the cemetery of six generations of the Tokugawa shoguns. Formerly there were 3,000 priests regularly at this great temple. Sangedatsu-mon (gate), which was built in 1622, is the only remaining structure which indicates the former greatness of Zojo-ji. It is designated by the national government as an Important Cultural Property.’


4-7-35 Shiba-koen-nai, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Admission Fee
Free in the temple precincts
[Walk]JR Tokyo Stn./10-min. walk/Toei Subway Otemachi Stn./Toei-Mita Line/8 min. ride/Shibakoen Stn./5-min. walk

More on Zojo-ji Temple