Ukiyo-e by Katsushika Hokusai which influenced the world of art across the world.
Katsushika Hokusai (1760-1849) was an ukiyo-e artist, whose works are known to have influenced, among others, Vincent van Gogh and other French impressionists. Ukiyo-e is a genre of Japanese woodblock prints (or woodcuts) and paintings abundantly produced during the Edo Period (1603-1867). They were mostly woodblock prints and were affordable as they could be mass-produced. On the other hand, some were painted by hand. As they were one of a kind, they were highly valuable if they were painted by a popular Ukiyo-e artist.
Hokusai was the leading Ukiyo-e artist of that time with his undisputed ability for painting and designing. Hokusai created a huge number of Ukiyo-e. Among them are Thirty-six views of Mt. Fuji which was a series of landscape focusing on Mt. Fuji viewed from different places in Japan and Hokusai Manga which was a collection of sketches published as a picture example book. It is said he created about 30,000 Ukiyo-e in 90 years of his life. The composition and the sense of color were superb and later on had a great influence on artists across the world such as Van Gogh and Claude Monet, impressionists and mile Gall , a glass artist.
In 1976, Hokusaikan Museum was opened in Obuse where Hokusai made a long stay in his later years. The museum houses and exhibits his works centered on the ones painted by hand as well as 2 festival floats which have Hokusai’s painting on the ceiling.
Tourist attractions with quaint atmosphere such as Nozawa Hot Spring and Zenko-ji Temple are grouped in the area around the museum.
- 485, Obuse, Obuse-machi, Kamitakai-gun, Nagano
- 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(subject to seasonal changes) (Last admission 30 minutes before closing)
- Admission Fee
- 500 yen
- December 31, January 1
- From Tokyo:[Rail]About 1 hour 30 min by JR Hokuriku Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Nagano Station, about 30 min by Nagano Dentetsu Line from Nagano Station to Obuse Station, about 12 min walk from Obuse Station
[Rail] About 1 hour 30 min by JR Hokuriku Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Nagano Station, about 30 min by Nagano Dentetsu Line from Nagano Station to Obuse Station, about 12 min walk from Obuse Station
- Nagano City Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Nagano City Tourist Information Center
- Iiyama Station Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Iiyama Station Tourist Information Center
- Zenko-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Zenko-ji Temple
- Omine Castle Castles Omine Castle