Former Hokkaido Government Office is Hokkaido’s best-known symbol and the red star on its exterior wall is the symbol of the Hokkaido Development Commission.
Heading west on Kita Sanjo Dori, you’ll see the grand Former Hokkaido Government Office, also known by the nickname “red brick office,” standing as the street comes to a dead end. The Former Hokkaido Government Office was used for approximately 80 years until the new government office currently in use was built. Constructed in 1888, the building is an example of American neo-baroque architecture. Architectural details such as the warped glass created in the Meiji Period and the heat-retaining double doors stored in an ornamental frame exude functional beauty. The building and its exhibits on Hokkaido history are open to the public. We recommend asking the volunteer staff for explanations about the building to appreciate its depth.
- SAPPORO ＆ HOKKAIDO CONCIERGE CENTER Tourist Information Offices SAPPORO ＆ HOKKAIDO CONCIERGE CENTER
- Mt. Moiwa-yama Scenic Landscapes Mt. Moiwa-yama
- Shiroi Koibito Park Industrial Tourism Shiroi Koibito Park
- Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium Sports Facilities Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium
- Sapporo City Clock Historical Architectures Sapporo City Clock
- Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art Museums Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art
- Hitsuji-ga-oka (hill of sheep) Cityscapes Hitsuji-ga-oka (hill of sheep)
- Takino Suzuran Hillside Park Snow World Japanese Gardens & Parks Takino Suzuran Hillside Park Snow World