Joy of view to drivers and walkers
Rainbow suspension bridge linking heart of Tokyo and waterfront sub-center
The Rainbow Bridge features a stretched and beautiful shape like a rainbow over Tokyo Bay as its name suggests. It is a 798-meter suspension bridge spanning from Shibaura Pier and the Odaiba waterfront development in Minato Ward. The bridge carries the Shuto Expressway’s No. 11 Daiba Route on the upper deck and the Tokyo Waterfront New Transit Waterfront Line, or Yurikamome, on the lower deck sandwiched by walkways and an open road running along. It is officially called “Tokyo Wan Renraku-kyo” (Tokyo Bay Connector Bridge).
While drivers can enjoy the beautiful scenery of Tokyo’s waterfront area and the night scene, people can cross the bridge on the walkways open to the public for free. The distance between the Shibaura and Odaiba gates is 1.7 kilometers and can be covered on foot for 20 to 30 minutes. As benches are placed near the towers supporting the bridge, walkers sit on them to watch ships sailing in Tokyo Bay or Mt. Fuji far in the distance while enjoying leisurely walks. The walkways are secret great spots.
The bridge is illuminated from the sunset until midnight to offer a fantastic scene. Long-life and energy-saving electrode-less lamps are used to illuminate the bridge into cool white in summer and warm white in winter. In addition, the illumination changes in color depending on events, days and hours for the enjoyment of viewers.
- Kaigan 3-chome to Daiba 1-chome, Minato Ward, Tokyo, Tokyo
- Walkways closed to public: 3rd Monday of every month (Following day if 3rd Monday is national holiday)
- Open hours for walkways: 10:00 to 18:00 (9:00 to 21:00 in April to October).
Entry is permitted until 30 minutes before closure of gates. No bicycles are permitted.
- Tokyo Joypolis Theme Parks Tokyo Joypolis
- Dezome-shiki Festivals & Ceremonies Dezome-shiki
- Palette Town Commercial Complexes & Observation Towers Palette Town
- Odaiba Seaside Park Japanese Gardens & Parks Odaiba Seaside Park
- KidZania Tokyo Theme Parks KidZania Tokyo
- Museum of Maritime Science Museums Museum of Maritime Science
- National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (Miraikan) Museums National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (Miraikan)