A "wonderland" that has evolved from a small group of electrical equipment shops into a huge computer marketplace.
The name Akihabara is now world famous. More than 250 electrical appliance and electronic shops of all sizes are located in a small area centered around Chuo-dori Street, to the west of Akihabara Station. In the past several years, the main trend has been a shift away from general home electrical appliances towards the new world of computers and the Internet. Emerging animation-related shops have also been attracting much attention. The shop assistants have a wealth of knowledge and are able to answer all sorts of questions. Many of them speak English, Chinese or Korean.
This town began as an area specializing in electrical equipment in the latter half of the 1940s, when people's primary source of information was radio. In the beginning, a gathering of many shops dealing in radio parts sprang up under the elevated JR railroad structures. Later, these shops began dealing in home electrical appliances, with the area ultimately developing into the world's largest electrical equipment marketplace.
The site of many service centers and showrooms of major manufacturers, as well as duty-free shops and a wide array of events, the town is quite attractive in the eyes of visitors. Among the many events are the Denki-matsuri Festivals held in summer and winter. They are the biggest of the events, and a great chance to find good shopping bargains that should not be missed. Take the time to fully explore this "electronic wonderland."
[Rail] 1h from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station by JR Narita Express Line.
[Air] 1h from Itami or 1h 10 min from Kansai International Airport to Haneda Airport.
[Rail] 2h 30 min from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line (Nozomi).5 min from Tokyo or Ueno to Akihabara Station by JR Yamanote Line, and 18 min from Shinjuku to Akihabara Station by JR Sobu Line. The Akihabara Denkigai (Akihabara Electric Town) Exit.
Around the Akihabara Area
More on the Akihabara Area
- Golden Route:Departure from Tokyo Golden Route:Departure from Tokyo
- FREE Wi-Fi service just gets better and better! FREE Wi-Fi service just gets better and better!
- Skyliner - the fastest way to downtown Tokyo! Skyliner - the fastest way to downtown Tokyo!
- Rediscovering the appeal of a "wonderland" called Akihabara Rediscovering the appeal of a "wonderland" called Akihabara
- Free Wi-Fi spots are increasing throughout Japan! Free Wi-Fi spots are increasing throughout Japan!
- New Discovery of Akihabara New Discovery of Akihabara