A spacious island located at Japan's northern extremity with festivals throughout the seasons. A region with an abundance of natural beauty.
Hokkaido is an island at Japan's northern extremity, surrounded by sea in all directions. It is an extensive land, accounting for 22% of Japan's total land area. Low humidity makes the summers pleasant, while in winter you can enjoy winter sports. The island is gaining popularity as a tourist destination throughout the four seasons.
In Hokkaido you can enjoy the magnificence of nature to your heart's content: Daisetsuzan National Park, which forms the roof of Hokkaido; the secluded Shiretoko Peninsula; Kushiro wetland, home to many precious living things such as Japanese cranes; Shikotsu-Toya National Park, which is full of volcanoes and lakes; and the ever-changing Shakotan Coast. There are also numerous hot springs, like the Noboribetsu, Jozan-kei and Sounkyo, where you can enjoy a leisurely bath to help you get over the fatigue of your journey.
The Sapporo Snow Festival and Mombetsu Ice Floes Festival are held in winter. In summer enjoy the Furano Lavender Festival, as well as port festivals in every coastal town held to pray for a good catch and safe fishing. Hokkaido boasts of over 1,200 festivals and events held throughout the year.
[Air] 1h 30 min from Haneda to Shin-Chitose Airport.
[Rail] 17h from Tokyo to Sapporo by sleeping car.
[Air] 2h from Itami, or Kansai International Airport
Things to Do
Hokkaido's Cities & Regions
- Sapporo Area Sapporo Area
- Around Sapporo Around Sapporo
- Abashiri Area Abashiri Area
- Akan Area Akan Area
- Asahikawa Area Asahikawa Area
- Biei Biei
- Furano Furano
- Cape Erimo Cape Erimo
- Hakodate Area Hakodate Area
- Around Hakodate Around Hakodate
- Kushiro Area Kushiro Area
- Lake Shikotsu Area Lake Shikotsu Area
- Lake Toya Area Lake Toya Area
- Matsumae Area Matsumae Area
- Mt. Esan Area Mt. Esan Area
- Noboribetsu Area Noboribetsu Area
- Cape Nosappu Cape Nosappu
- Notsuke Peninsula Notsuke Peninsula
- Obihiro Area Obihiro Area
- Otaru Area Otaru Area
- Rishiri/Rebun Area Rishiri/Rebun Area
- Shakotan Area Shakotan Area
- Shiretoko Area Shiretoko Area
- Sounkyo Sounkyo
- Kitami Area Kitami Area
- Wakkanai Area Wakkanai Area
- Mombetsu Area Mombetsu Area
More on Hokkaido Pref.
- Visit Hokkaido Visit Hokkaido
- East Hokkaido (New winter attractions) East Hokkaido (New winter attractions)
- Tourist Spots Along the Scenic Byways in Hokkaido Tourist Spots Along the Scenic Byways in Hokkaido
- Sapporo, Otaru and Noboribetsu [PDF] Sapporo, Otaru and Noboribetsu [PDF]
- Kushiro, Abashiri, Shiretoko & Akan National Park [PDF] Kushiro, Abashiri, Shiretoko & Akan National Park [PDF]
- Hakodate and Vicinity [PDF] Hakodate and Vicinity [PDF]
- Moerenuma Park Moerenuma Park
- Nikka Whisky Nikka Whisky
- Kiritappu Marsh Center Kiritappu Marsh Center
- Local Cuisine of Hokkaido Local Cuisine of Hokkaido
- Best from Hokkaido Tours Best from Hokkaido Tours