The symbol of world peace, Hiroshima. Miya-jima Island symbolized by the Great Torii Gate in the Sea.
Hiroshima is situated at the center of the Chugoku region in western Honshu, the main island of Japan. In'no-shima Island and 150 other islands are located in the in the nearby Seto Inland Sea.
The Chugoku Mountains, rising to a height of some 1,000 meters, extend from east to west in the northern part of Hiroshima, with highways and national routes crossing mountain passes to connect the prefecture with areas along the Sea of Japan. The plains are narrow and the coastlines are mostly saw-toothed coasts, with mountains drawing close to the shore.
Nature abounds in Hiroshima Prefecture, which is surrounded both by ocean and mountains. Attractions include Setonaikai (Seto Inland Sea) National Park, Hibadogo-Taishaku Quasi-National Park, and West Chugoku Mountains Quasi-National Park. Hiroshima City is known to the world as the first city ever attacked by an atomic bomb. There you will find the Hiroshima Atomic Bomb Dome(Genbaku Dome), which symbolizes the importance of world peace. Adjacent to the Genbaku Dome, which has been inscribed as a World Cultural Heritage Site, is the Peace Memorial Park.
Itsuku-shima-jinja, the shrine inscribed as a World Cultural Heritage Site along with the Genbaku Dome in 1996, is located on Miya-jima Island. It is said to be one of the three most beautiful sights in Japan, and has been designated as a nation's historic site. Its symbol is the Great Torii Gate (shrine gate) that stands in the sea.
[Air] 1h 15 min from Haneda to Hiroshima Airport.
[Rail] 4h from Tokyo to Hiroshima Station by JR Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Line.
[Rail] 1h 30 min from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima Station by Shinkansen.
Things to Do
Hiroshima's Cities & Regions
More on Hiroshima Pref.
- The Hiroshima Brand The Hiroshima Brand
- Visit Hiroshima Visit Hiroshima
- Chugoku Region Tourist Spots 【PDF:8.1MB】 Chugoku Region Tourist Spots 【PDF:8.1MB】
- Chugoku Region Model Routes 【PDF:7.6MB】 Chugoku Region Model Routes 【PDF:7.6MB】
- Hiroshima & Miyajima [PDF] Hiroshima & Miyajima [PDF]
- Golden Route: Hiroshima/Miyajima Golden Route: Hiroshima/Miyajima
- 3-Day Sample Travel Plan 3-Day Sample Travel Plan
- Hiroshima City Museum of Contemporary Art Hiroshima City Museum of Contemporary Art
- Ikuo Hirayama Museum of Art Ikuo Hirayama Museum of Art
- World Heritage Site in Japan:Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) and Itsukushima Shinto Shrine World Heritage Site in Japan:Hiroshima Peace Memorial (Genbaku Dome) and Itsukushima Shinto Shrine
- Local Cuisine of the Chugoku Region Local Cuisine of the Chugoku Region
- Setonaikai National Park (Hiroshima Prefecture) Setonaikai National Park (Hiroshima Prefecture)