Home > Tokyo > Ueno-onshi-koen Park

Ueno-onshi-koen Park


Edo culture and contemporary culture cross in one of the
Japan's first parks where you can enjoy beautiful four seasons

Ueno-onshi-koen Park together with Shiba, Asakusa, Fukagawa and Asukayama parks was designated as public park first time in Japan in 1873. The park area was the ground of Toeizan Kan'ei-ji from the early Edo Period (1603-1868), communized in the Meiji Period and later donated by the Imperial Household Ministry to Tokyo City (covering current 23 wards). "Onshi" means "Imperial gift."

Main features of Ueno-onshi-koen Park, commonly called Ueno Park, were Kaneiji temple, Ueno Toshogu Shrine dedicated to Tokugawa Ieyasu who founded the Edo Shogunate and cherry blossoms that still make the park one of the best viewing spots in Japan. Later the park was developed as a center of arts, culture and education including an array of museums and the Tokyo University of Arts. Today, the park is widely known at home and abroad as a representative park of Japan with cultured and historic atmosphere. The bronze statue of Saigo Takamori who was a leading figure of Meiji Restoration is well known as the symbol of the park.

Nature in four seasons is also a highlight of Ueno Park. Cherry blossoms from late-March to mid-April, lotus flowers floating on Shinobazu Pond in July to August, colored maple leaves in autumn and peonies in winter are different expressions of the park.


Address: Ueno-Koen Ikenohata 3-chome, Taito Ward, Tokyo
Hours open to visitors: 05:00-23:00
Directions: 2-minute walk from Ueno (JR line, Ginza line, Hibiya line).

Related Information 1 (その他付属情報-中央)


Related Information 2 (その他付属情報-左)

Related Information 3 (その他付属情報-右)

Area Map