Just like the seabed! Japanese fish stare out at you from the big tank
View the rare Japanese giant salamander in closeup, too!
This aquarium, located in Kyoto’s Umekoji Park, opened in March 2012. It is the first aquarium in Japan to use completely synthetic seawater. As well as the fish, there are approximately 15,000 marine animals of around 250 different species, including spotted seals and African penguin.
The biggest attraction is the big tank, which holds 500 t of water. Replicating the coastal waters of Japan, it offers visitors the opportunity to view a diverse array of sea creatures in closeup, including the spotted eagle ray, the longtooth grouper, the green sea turtle, and the pitted stingray. There are seven key viewing spots, including the manmade grotto and the fisheye lens, which enable you to observe the fish from a variety of angles from which you cannot usually see them, including from directly below. When you are in front of the vast tank, you feel just as though you are on the seabed.
This aquarium is also devoting its energies to the conservation of endangered species, and the Beauty of Nature Zone exhibits a range of learning materials concerning environmental conservation, as well as rare species. Moreover, in the Countryside of Kyoto Zone, visitors can spend time observing the comical facial expressions and mysterious habitat of the Japanese giant salamander (a special natural monument and said to be the world’s largest amphibian), as well as watching it being fed.
- 35-1 Kankijicho, Kyoto Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto
- 09:00 - 17:00 (last admission: 16:00) *Schedule changes during Golden Week (late April/early May), the summer vacation, and the New Year vacation
- Admission Fee
- 2,000 yen (adults), 1,500 yen (high school students), 1,000 yen (elementary and junior high school students), 600 yen (children aged 3-5)
- Open every day
- Kyoto Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Kyoto Tourist Information Center
- Daimonji Gozan Okuribi Festivals & Ceremonies Daimonji Gozan Okuribi
- Kyoto station tourist information center Tourist Information Offices Kyoto station tourist information center
- kotochika kyoto station Tourist information center Tourist Information Offices kotochika kyoto station Tourist information center
- To-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches To-ji Temple
- Kyosendo Look for Traditional Crafts Kyosendo
- Toh-shiya (Archery Contest) Festivals & Ceremonies Toh-shiya (Archery Contest)
- Kyoto Station Transport Facilities Kyoto Station