A zoo and botanical garden featuring 7,500 different species, nestled in a verdant site covering around 60 hectares
The 60-hectare site features a large leisure facility that encompasses a zoo, botanical garden, the Higashiyama Sky Tower, and an amusement park. As well as koalas and giraffes, the perennially-popular zoo inhabitants, the zoo also raises the rare Persian leopard and around 500 species of animals raised outdoors, including the Mackenzie Valley wolf. Another attraction is the Worldwide Medaka Hall, which features several hundred varieties of medaka (Japanese killifish).
The botanical gardens, which were developed in a way that makes the best use of the natural forest, feature Japan’s oldest glasshouse, which has been designated an Important Cultural Property; in addition, there are multiple special gardens, including an ume (Prunus mume-Japanese apricot) garden, a cherry blossom garden, and a camellia garden, with a total of around 7,000 varieties of plant on show. Moreover, with a house in the gassho-zukuri style, which has been transferred here from the World Heritage Site of Shirakawa-go in Gifu Prefecture, and playground equipment for children to play on, there are many things to enjoy, in addition to viewing the plants.
On the very top floor is the Sky Restaurant, where you can enjoy the superb view during your meal, while on the first floor is the Atelier Ciel cafe, which boasts a range of exquisite sweets. The park is extensive and contains many attractions, so you might not be able to see it all in one day. We recommend planning in advance the areas that you particularly want to see.
- 3-70 Higashiyama-motomachi, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi
- 09:00 - 16:50 (last admission: 16:30)
- Admission Fee
- 500 yen (adults), free (children)
- Mondays (the following day, if a national holiday falls on a Monday), New Year vacation (December 29-January 1)
- The Nagoya International Center Information Services Tourist Information Offices The Nagoya International Center Information Services
- Kanayama Tourist Informaition Center Tourist Information Offices Kanayama Tourist Informaition Center
- Oasis21 i Center Tourist Information Offices Oasis21 i Center
- Nagoya Station Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Nagoya Station Tourist Information Center
- The Tokugawa Art Museum Museums The Tokugawa Art Museum
- Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology Industrial Tourism Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology
- Noritake Garden Industrial Tourism Noritake Garden
- SCMAGLEV and Railway Park Museums SCMAGLEV and Railway Park