The shrine dedicated to Uesugi Kenshin who was called war god with a treasure house exhibiting a large number of original mementos
Established in 1876, the shrine in Matsugasaki Park is dedicated to Uesugi Kenshin, a military commander during the Warring States Period (1493-1590). This is the place that used to be the inner palace of Yonezawa Castle main enclosure. The current building is a reconstruction in 1923.
Uesugi Kenshin is one of the most popular warriors of the Warring States Period and still appears in many dramas, games and anime. One of the reasons is that he was so good at war that he was called war god.
The shrine has a variety of Important Cultural Assets including “Image of Bishamonten, color on silk” and “Gold paint on purple twill Mandala of the Two Realms.” Keishoden in the grounds is the treasure house of the Shrine exhibiting mementos of Uesugi Kenshin and his descendents. There are 131 Important Cultural Properties and other 1000 items including art treasures; they are armors, swords, weapons, paintings, Buddhist calligraphic works and paintings, Buddhist altar fittings, ceramics, lacquer ware, clothes, documents, other handwriting scripts, etc.
A Japanese lute used by Uesugi Kenshin, a war helmet of Naoe Kanetsugu with the word “Ai” at the front (the helmet is called “Aizen Myoo (Ragaraja, the love god)”,) a battle flag of the Uesugi Family, a scroll written by Uesugi Yozan who was a famous feudal lord and many other items related to historical figures make the place very popular among visitors who wish to have firsthand knowledge of history. It is recommended to take enough time to see them.
- 1-4-13 Marunouchi, Yonezawa City, Yamagata
- 6:00-17:00(7:00-17:00 during winter; 9:00-15:45 for the treasure house)
- Admission Fee
- free admission (400 yen for the treasure house)
- The treasure house is closed from Dec to mid-March (open on 1 to 3 Jan and second Saturday and Sunday of Feb)