St. Marys Cathedral, often known as Urakami Cathedral, was constructed after a long-standing ban on Christianity was lifted in 1873. In 1925, the main Cathedral and the belfry dome were completed after 30 years of work by Urakami Christians. The brick Romanesque building was the largest Catholic church in East Asia until the atomic bomb that fell on Nagasaki in 1945 completely destroyed it, along with 8,500 Christians. A replacement was built in 1959 in the same Romanesque style. Along the approach to the Cathedral, there are atomic bomb-exposed angel statues. The Cathedral’s stained-glass windows, which feature the image of Christ, are lit up at night.’
- 1-79 Motoo-machi, Nagasaki-shi, Nagasaki
- Admission Fee
- [Car]JR Urakami Station/Street car/Matsuyama Station/On foot/5 min.