Kuno-zan Tosho-gu was built in memory of the first Tokugawa shogun, Ieyasu, who brought decades of war to an end and established the Edo shogunate early in the 17th century and ruling over the whole of Japan. He died of illness in 1616 at Sunpu Castle, which was located in present-day Shizuoka-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture. Hidetada, the son of Ieyasu and the second shogun, ordered this shrine to be built in 1617. A group of buildings including a mausoleum, sanctuary, hall of sacred dances, and a drum tower for telling time have been designated Important Cultural Properties by the Japanese government. The whole of Kuno-zan has been designated a historical site.
- 390 Negoya, Suruga-ku, Shizuoka-shi, Shizuoka
- Admission Fee
- 500 yen (regular fee), 800 yen for shrine + museum (regular fee)
- Open throughout the year
- [Bus]JR Shizuoka Station/ Bus/ 35 min./ Nihondaira Bus Stop/ On foot/ 1 min./ Nihondaira/ Ropeway/ 5 min./ Kunouzan/ On foot/ 15 min.