Kanda-jinja is also known as Kanda-myojin. The shrine was built in the year 730 around what is presently Shomonzuka, in the Otemachi area of Chiyoda-ku. Two hundred years later, the spirit of Taira-no-Masakado, who started an uprising against the government of this region, was enshrined here.In 1590, Tokugawa Ieyasu, lord of the region, decided to establish his government at Edo, and began building a great city. The shrine was then moved to its present location in 1616, and the deity of the shrine became the guardian deity of Ki-mon (“Demon Gate”) of Edo Castle. The people of Edo were familiar with this deity as the guardian of the entire city.
- 2-16-2 Soto-Kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
- Admission Fee
- Free in the shrine precincts
- [Rail]JR Tokyo Stn./JR Chuo Line/5-min. ride/O-chanomizu Stn./5-min. walk