The Sumo Museum collects and preserves a wide range of materials relating to the history of sumo wrestling. The museum possesses 3,700 sumo Nishiki-e (multi-colored woodblock prints), 500 sumo dolls, Banzuke (official ranking list), and Kesho-mawashi (a silk belt with a heavily embroidered large apron with thick tassels worn by upper ranked wrestlers). The exhibits change six times each year. The museum also functions as a research center, continuously studying and reviewing sumo history as an integral part of Japanese culture. The museum was first opened in September 1954, when the Kuramae Kokugikan was completed, and was relocated to its current location in the Ryogoku Kokugikan in January 1985.
- Kokugikan 1F:1-3-28 Yokoami, Sumida-ku, Tokyo
- Admission Fee
- Saturdays, Sundays, National Holidays
The museum also closes on a regular basis in order to change exhibits.
- Ryogoku Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Ryogoku Tourist Information Center
- Tobacco and Salt Museum Industrial Tourism Tobacco and Salt Museum
- Ryogoku Kokugikan (sumo stadium) Sports Facilities Ryogoku Kokugikan (sumo stadium)
- Kiyosumi Garden Japanese Gardens & Parks Kiyosumi Garden
- Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo Museums Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo
- Edo Tokyo Hakubutsukan Museums Edo Tokyo Hakubutsukan