Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art is located on the west side of Sapporo Odori Park, in the city of Sapporo. The white tile building was designed to match the areas snowy winter landscape. The collection at this museum is founded on three fundamental principles: first, to collect works of artists from Hokkaido; second, to collect works of the Ecole de Paris, including those of Pascin, Utrillo, Dongen, Kisling, Soutine and Laurencin; and third, to collect glassware representing periods from Art Nouveau through contemporary. In addition to exhibiting works of art, this museum also attaches important to art education. Each day volunteer guides accompany visitors as they walk through the museum, informing them about the works of art on display. (These tours are only available in Japanese.)
*The museum is closed from September 2011 to January 2012 for reconstruction.
- 17 chome, Kita-Ichijo-nishi, Chuo-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido
- Admission Fee
- 450 yen (permanent exhibition)
- Mondays (if the Monday is a national holiday, the following weekday), New Years holidays, maintenance period'
- [Rail]JR Sapporo Stn./Sapporo Shiei Subway Nanboku Line/2-min. ride/O-dori Stn./Sapporo Shiei Subway Tozai Line/4-min. ride/Nishi 18-chome Stn./5-min. walk
- SAPPORO ＆ HOKKAIDO CONCIERGE CENTER Tourist Information Offices SAPPORO ＆ HOKKAIDO CONCIERGE CENTER
- Mt. Moiwa-yama Natural Scenery Mt. Moiwa-yama
- Shiroi Koibito Park Industrial Tourism Shiroi Koibito Park
- Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium Sports Facilities Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium
- Former Hokkaido Government Office Historical Architectures Former Hokkaido Government Office
- Sapporo City Clock Historical Architectures Sapporo City Clock
- Hitsuji-ga-oka (hill of sheep) Cityscapes Hitsuji-ga-oka (hill of sheep)
- Takino Suzuran Hillside Park Snow World Japanese Gardens & Parks Takino Suzuran Hillside Park Snow World