Enjoy the works by the artists who are much talked about such as Yoshitomo Nara in the modern and unique space of art
Aomori Museum of Art was opened in July, 2006 intending to introduce the local culture of Aomori. Its unique building and the facilities such as the library collecting visual books, the cafe and the shop are also appealing. It is popular as a place not just to “look” at the works but to “spend time” with art.
Since 1993, the collection has been made based on the principle which is “While focusing on the art closely related to the region and its climate, collect art materials that would cultivate sensitivity and contribute to the future creation.”
The museum houses more than 120 works from drawings to three-dimensional works by Yoshitomo Nara, a young artist from Aomori Prefecture. Visitors can see all the steps of Yoshitomo Nara, now a world-class artist. The huge symbolic art object of Aomori Museum of Art, “Aomori ken (Aomori dog)” is also a work by Yoshitomo Nara.
The museum also collects works by local artists such as Shuji Terayama and Shiko Munakata and works by overseas artists such as Marc Chagall, Paul Klee, Henri Matisse, Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn and Pablo Picasso.
Shuji Terayama was an artist who demonstrated his unique talent in many fields such as literature, play, and film. In the exhibition room G, the world of Terayama is displayed from various perspectives.
The works of Chagall are 3 background pictures for ballet, and each of them is 9 meters long and 15 meters wide. The world of Chagall unfolds in the space created among the huge pictures.
The museum is also active in having concerts, plays and workshops. Please visit the official site of Aomori Museum of Art for details on exhibition schedule.
The museum is located next to Sannai-Maruyama site, a special historic site. Enjoy the site as well when visiting the museum.
© AOMORI MUSEUM OF ART All Rights Reserved.
- 185, Chikano, Yasuta, Aomori-city, Aomori
- 9:00 - 18:00 (6/1 - 9/30) 9:30 - 17:00 (10/1 - 5/31)
*Final Admission 30 minutes before closing.
- Admission Fee
- 500 yen
- The 2nd and 4th Mondays, and 12/27 - 12/31, except for National Holidays on Monday, in which case the museum opens on the holiday and closes the following Tuesday instead. We may also irregularly close during the temporary exhibitions.
- [Bus]About 10-min by Bus “Nebutan-go (counterclockwise direction)” from Bus Stop of JR Shin-Aomori Station South Exit to Kenritsu-bijutsukan-mae
About 20-min by Car from Aomori Airport
- Aomori City Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Aomori City Tourist Information
- Aomori Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Aomori Tourist Information Center
- Aomori Nebuta Matsuri Festivals & Ceremonies Aomori Nebuta Matsuri
- Aomori Bay Bridge Bridges Aomori Bay Bridge
- Munakata Shiko Memorial Museum of Art Museums Munakata Shiko Memorial Museum of Art
- Sannai-Maruyama Ruins Archaeological Sites & Ruins Sannai-Maruyama Ruins