Echigo-Yuzawa-onsen has various hot springs in the vicinity of Echigo-Yuzawa Station (Joetsu Shinkansen Line) and is a popular destination for winter sports. There are a number of sotoyu (communal baths that have no accommodation) which you can enjoy along with many leisure possibilities. Its mildly alkaline water is said to work for muscle and neuralgic pains and to relieve fatigue. The famous Japanese novel written by Yasunari Kawabata, Yukiguni (Snow Country), is set in this town. One can experience the aura of the very first line of the novel, “The train came out of the long tunnel into the snow country” by taking the local trains.
- Exit at JR Echigo-Yuzawa Station (Joetsu Shinkansen Line).
Yuzawa, Yuzawa-machi, Minami-uonuma-gun, Niigata
- Echigo-Yuzawa Onsen Hot Springs Tourism Association Tourist Information Offices Echigo-Yuzawa Onsen Hot Springs Tourism Association
- Area Information Center Tourist Information Offices Area Information Center
- Tokamachi Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Tokamachi Tourist Information
- Ponshukan Sake and Rice Museum Museums Ponshukan Sake and Rice Museum
- Shiozawa Tsumugi spinning/Hon-Shiozawa Shiozawa Tsumugi spinning/Hon-Shiozawa
- Tokamachi Gasuri Look for Traditional Crafts Tokamachi Gasuri