A waterfront shopping, gourmet, and culture spot housed in red brick warehouses redolent with the atmosphere of yesteryear
Facing Hakodate Bay across a navigation channel, Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse is a row of red brick warehouses that conjures up a feeling of nostalgia. The complex has its roots in the Kanemori Haberdasher’s Shop, which opened in 1869. The red brick warehouses were built more than a century ago. Today, they house shops, restaurants, and event facilities that attract numerous visitors. There are also many buildings that are actually used as warehouses.
The complex consists of four zones, each of which has its own distinctive characteristics. Located across the navigation channel, Bay Hakodate features an atmospheric townscape that is a popular date spot for couples. Lit up at night at certain times of year, you can see the red bricks reflected in the water. Hakodate History Plaza is home to a beer hall where you can enjoy fresh local beer shipped directly from the brewery.
Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse receives 2 million visitors each year. As well as people from across Japan, it has recently begun to attract foreign tourists too; moreover, it is highly popular with local people. With a diverse range of events throughout the year, you’ll never be bored.
- Suehiro Cho, Hakodate City, Hokkaido
- Hakodate Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Hakodate Tourist Information Center
- Onuma International Communication Plaza Tourist Information Offices Onuma International Communication Plaza
- Hakodate Airport Information （Domestic Terminal Arrival Lobby) Tourist Information Offices Hakodate Airport Information （Domestic Terminal Arrival Lobby)
- Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward Historical Architectures Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward
- Hokkaidoritsu Hakodate Bijutsukan (Art Museum) Museums Hokkaidoritsu Hakodate Bijutsukan (Art Museum)