An extensive park with a range of attractions, located beside a major Osaka landmark, the Tsutenkaku tower
Tennoji Park has a history dating back more than a century to its opening in 1909. With a Japanese garden that formerly belonged to a wealthy family that owned a business conglomerate, and the Chausuyama Tumulus, which is said to be the tomb of an ancient and powerful family, the park has a number of attractions that enable visitors to gain a feel for the way in which the area has changed over time.
The Osaka Municipal Museum of Art is also located within the park, which occupies an area of approximately 280,000 square meters. The museum has a collection of more than 8,000 works including Chinese paintings and calligraphy, sculptures, and ceramics, as well as early modern Japanese paintings, and the archive of Ogata Korin (painter, 1658-1716), a leading figure in the Japanese art world. It features a range of interesting exhibitions, so it is well worth a visit for art-lovers.
In addition, there is an abundance of greenery in the park, including a greenhouse and a rose arch. The zoo is located adjacent to the park, so it’s fun for all the family. Look up and you’ll see the unique shape of the Tsutenkaku tower nearby, a landmark that is the symbol of Osaka. Upon leaving this tranquil park, you’ll find yourself amid the bustle and neon lights of the downtown area. We hope you’ll come to Osaka and experience the twin faces of this big city.
- Chausuyama-cho, Tennoji-ku, Osaka City, Osaka
- 9:30 - 17:00
- Admission Fee
- 150 yen (high school students and above)
- Mondays (the next weekday if this falls on a national holiday)
- Toka Ebisu Festivals & Ceremonies Toka Ebisu
- Shinsekai Cityscapes Shinsekai
- Shiten'no-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Shiten'no-ji Temple
- Tsutenkaku Tower Cityscapes Tsutenkaku Tower
- Kuromon Ichiba (marketplace) Cityscapes Kuromon Ichiba (marketplace)
- Den-den Town (electric town) Cityscapes Den-den Town (electric town)
- Imamiya Ebisu-jinja Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Imamiya Ebisu-jinja Shrine