A festival praying for protection against wind damage and for an abundant autumn harvest.
This is a traditional folk event to appease the wind and pray for a bountiful crop, and is held every year for three days from September 1st. It corresponds to the 210th day from the first day of spring according to the traditional Japanese calendar and is considered a day often beset by calamities when farmers are frequently struck by typhoons. Although there are many explanations about its origins, it is generally believed that the Bon ritual of paying homage to ancestors merged with a festival praying for a rich harvest.
All the men and women of the town stop working during the days of the festival. They light small lampstands covered with paper and dance all night while singing the “Ecchu Owara Bushi”which is a folk song handed down in Yatsuo-machi town, Toyama Prefecture. Accompaniment is provided by three-stringed Japanese musical instruments, smaller Japanese stringed instruments and drums. The women all wear the same type of cotton summer kimono with black sashes and hats made by braiding straw, while the men wear short jackets and amigasa hats. The dance is performed in an area extending some 3 kilometers from north to south, and the 11 Owara district sub-branches, each forming a unit, dance on designated stages as they travel around the area.
It used to be a local folk festival for the inhabitants of the town. However, word about the unique melancholic melodies and mysterious dance has spread, and in recent years it has been drawing large numbers of spectators from all over the country.
- [Rail]About 40 minutes' walk to the enbujo dance stage from Ecchu Yatsuo Station. Ecchu Yatsuo Station is about 20 minutes from JR Toyama Station on the JR Takayama Honsen Line.
- September 1st-3rd
Dates and functions are subject to change without notice. Be sure to check the latest information in advance.
- Yatsuo-machi, Toyama City, Toyama Prefecture
- Toyama Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Toyama Tourist Information Center
- Hokuriku Expressway OYABEGAWA Service Area Area Concierge（Inbound） Tourist Information Offices Hokuriku Expressway OYABEGAWA Service Area Area Concierge（Inbound）
- Takaoka City Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Takaoka City Tourist Information Center
- Uozu Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Uozu Tourist Information
- Hokuriku Expressway ARISOUMI Service Area Area Concierge（Outbound） Tourist Information Offices Hokuriku Expressway ARISOUMI Service Area Area Concierge（Outbound）
- Hokuriku Expressway OYABEGAWA Service Area Area Concierge(Outbound) Tourist Information Offices Hokuriku Expressway OYABEGAWA Service Area Area Concierge(Outbound)
- Hokuriku Expressway ARISOUMI Service Area Area Concierge（Inbound） Tourist Information Offices Hokuriku Expressway ARISOUMI Service Area Area Concierge（Inbound）
- Shin-Takaoka Station Tourist Exchange Center Tourist Information Offices Shin-Takaoka Station Tourist Exchange Center