Ueda Castle (Ueda-jo) was built in the latter half of the 16th century by the daimyo Sanada Masayuki, who became its governor. Sanada Masayuki was a courageous and resourceful commander who was skilled in war strategies and tactics, and he is well-known for leading his small force in fighting bravely against a large enemy force. After the battle of Sekigahara in 1600 in which the Tokugawa and Toyotomi clans fought, Ueda Castle was demolished, because it had been the castle of Sanada Masayuki who had been on the defeated side. The scale of the castle was initially only 340 sq m, but when the Tokugawa family established their rule over Japan, it was reconstructed by another daimyo. There is no donjon as he died during the reconstruction and the castle was left unfinished. The existing turret and other parts of the castle echo how the place must have looked back then.
- 6263, Ninomaru, Ueda-shi, Nagano
- Admission Fee
- 250 yen
December to March
- [Walk]JR Ueda Station/On foot/10 min.