Five lakes at the northern foot of Mt. Fuji. A wide selection of museums and outdoor activities for every tourist.
Fuji-Goko is a clollective term for the five lakes along the northern foot of Mt.Fuji, which towers at the border of southern Yamanashi and Shizuoka. The lakes are Yamada Lake, Kawaguchi Lake, Saiko Lake, Shoji Lake, Motosu Lake. The largest is Lake Yamanakako, the smallest is the Lake Shoji, the one with the highest surface attitude is Yamanakako Lake, and the deepest is Motosu Lake.
Yamanakako Lake is a popular summer resort offering camping spots around the lake.
Kawaguchiko Lake is the easiest to get to from Tokyo and is the core of sightseeing in the Fuji-Goko area. A classic-style bus runs along the lakeside carrying visitors to all the different museums and amusement facilities. Kawaguchiko Lake is also known as the starting point for climbing Mt. Fuji, as well as a mecca for sports fishing.
Saiko Lake is also called the "Lake of Otome (maidens)." In the surroundings, there is Aoki-ga-hara-jukai or the sea of forest that spreads all over the northwestern foot of Mt. Fuji, Sai-ko Bats' Nest Cave that is warm even in winter and Fugaku-fuketsu, or the wind caves of Fuji, where icicles bristle even in summer.
Shoji Lake has a great view from the Eboshi-dake Panorama Platform at the southwest. The reflected image of Mt. Fuji on the lake surface is known as the "Upside-down Fuji."
Motosu Lake is the deepest among the five lakes, with a depth of 138 meters, and prides itself on the outstanding clarity of its water. You can enjoy the same sight of Mt. Fuji from the north shore as it is drawn on the 1,000 yen bills.
[Rail] 1h 50 min from Shinjuku (Tokyo) via Otsuki Station (JR Chuo Line, limited express) to Kawaguchi-ko Station by Fujikyuko Line.
Around the Fuji-Goko Area (Fuji Five Lakes)
- YAMANAKAKO Informetion Center Tourist Information Offices YAMANAKAKO Informetion Center
- Fujiyoshida Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Fujiyoshida Tourist Information Center
- Chuo Expressway Dangozaka Service Area East Bound Area Concierge Tourist Information Offices Chuo Expressway Dangozaka Service Area East Bound Area Concierge
- Chuo Express EXPASA Dangozaka West Bound Area Concierge Tourist Information Offices Chuo Express EXPASA Dangozaka West Bound Area Concierge
- Yamanashi Prefectural Fuji Visitor Center Tourist Information Offices Yamanashi Prefectural Fuji Visitor Center
- Mt.Fuji information Tourist Information Offices Mt.Fuji information
- Fujikawaguchiko Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Fujikawaguchiko Tourist Information
- Fuji-Q Highland Theme Parks Fuji-Q Highland
- Kawaguchiko Musekan (museum) Museums Kawaguchiko Musekan (museum)
- Itchiku Kubota Art Museum Museums Itchiku Kubota Art Museum
- Mishima Yukio Literary Museum Museums Mishima Yukio Literary Museum
More on the Fuji-Goko Area (Fuji Five Lakes)
- Fujikawaguchiko Sightseeing information Fujikawaguchiko Sightseeing information
- Mt.Fuji/Fuji Five Lakes AREA GUIDE Mt.Fuji/Fuji Five Lakes AREA GUIDE
- Mt.Fuji & Fuji Five Lakes Mt.Fuji & Fuji Five Lakes
- Sightseeing of Mt. Fuji Sightseeing of Mt. Fuji
- Fuji-Q Highland Fuji-Q Highland
- Outdoor experiences at the base of Mount Fuji! Outdoor experiences at the base of Mount Fuji!
- Adventures in roller coasters! Adventures in roller coasters!
- Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park
- Find Accommodations in the Fuji-Goko Area (Fuji Five Lakes)
- Search for accommodations in the Fuji-Goko Area (Fuji Five Lakes) at Japan Hotel & Ryokan Search.
- Find Restaurants in the Fuji-Goko Area (Fuji Five Lakes)
- Search for restaurants in the Fuji-Goko Area (Fuji Five Lakes) at Japan Restaurant Search.