Known as the Gateway to the North, Ueno has many cultural establishments nesting within a vast park.
Ueno Station in Taito-ku is known as the "Gateway to the North" because it is the departing station for the railways from Tokyo bound for the Tohoku region in northern Japan. The terminal accommodates 10 railways, including the JR Nagano Shinkansen Line. It is a prominent downtown area rivaling Ginza, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro and Shibuya.
In Tokyo Ueno-onshi-koen Park, encompassing a vast area to the west of Ueno Station, there is a concentration of cultural institutions such as: Ueno Zoo, the first zoo in Japan; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum; Tokyo Bunka Kaikan (Tokyo Cultural Hall); the National Museum of Western Art; the National Science Museum; and Tokyo National Museum, all offering their visitors recreation and relaxation. The park is particularly crowded in early April when people gather to enjoy the view of the evanescent cherry blossoms.
The Ameya-yokocho Market, called "Ameyoko" for short, is located in the area under the elevated railway structure between Ueno and Okachimachi Stations. This area used to be the location of a thriving flea market immediately after the end of the WWII. There are a number of shops that sell everything from basic foodstuffs to high-class imported goods, all at reasonable prices, and as a result it is always crowded with shoppers. The year-end special bargains, in particular, have become one of the scenes that add poetic charm to the season, reflecting the lives of the common people of Tokyo.
[Rail] 1h from Narita Airport to Keisei Ueno Station by Keisei Skyliner.
[Air] 1h from Itami or 1h 10 min from Kansai International Airport to Haneda Airport.
[Rail] 2h 30 min from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line (Nozomi), and 5 min from Tokyo to Ueno Station by JR Yamanote Line.
Around the Ueno Area
- Tokyo Tourist Information Center Keisei Ueno Branch Tourist Information Offices Tokyo Tourist Information Center Keisei Ueno Branch
- Tokyo National Museum Museums Tokyo National Museum
- Ueno Zoo Zoological & Botanical Gardens, Aquariums Ueno Zoo
- Ueno-onshi-koen Park Japanese Gardens & Parks Ueno-onshi-koen Park
- Ameya-yokocho Market Places for Shopping Ameya-yokocho Market
- Yushima Tenman-gu Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Yushima Tenman-gu Shrine
- Kan'ei-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Kan'ei-ji Temple
- Kokuritsu Seiyo Bijutsukan (The National Museum of Western Art) Museums Kokuritsu Seiyo Bijutsukan (The National Museum of Western Art)
- Kokuritsu Kagaku Hakubutsukan (National Science Museum) Museums Kokuritsu Kagaku Hakubutsukan (National Science Museum)
More on the Ueno Area
- Golden Route: Tour of Yanaka and Japanese Tradition Golden Route: Tour of Yanaka and Japanese Tradition
- Tokyo Walks Tokyo Walks
- Tokyo Bunka Kaikan Tokyo Bunka Kaikan
- Free Wi-Fi spots are increasing throughout Japan! Free Wi-Fi spots are increasing throughout Japan!
- Volunteer Guides to take you around Japan Volunteer Guides to take you around Japan