Explore natural riches in Taketa where people live in harmony with nature
Looking for something different from artificial tourist attractions? Would you fancy breathing deep in lush greenery? Then Taketa must be your destination.
Taketa is abundant in amazing landscapes. Kuju highland is breathtakingly beautiful especially when you go off the main roads. Find your favourite vista as you drive along a winding country road. If you prefer moving on your feet, climb the Mt. Kuju to see the Miyama Kirishima (pink azaleas – rare species) that bloom in late May – early June. It will surely be rewarding. Alternatively, hiking in the fall to see gorgeous autumn tints is also a good choice.
Taketa is also rich in natural spring water which is utilised for farming Enoha (a trout family) and for production of delicious Tofu (bean curd) and the bean sprouts. Forerunners were appreciative of natural blessings and generations of people have taken good care of the springs in the area till now. Thanks to the forerunners, spring water is everywhere in Taketa and it has become a trademark of the city.
Another symbol of the city is Oka castle ruins. The castle was once known as “impenetrable”, however the main structures were torn down due to the Meiji restoration. Its grand stone walls which still stand there were built with astonishing technique, making the castle ruins outstanding up to today.
To the north of the city is Nagayu hot spring. Its carbonated hot spring is unrivalled in quality in Japan. It improves blood circulation while drinking hot spring help condition digestive organs.
Around the Taketa Area
- Guernsey Farm Industrial Tourism Guernsey Farm
- Hidden Christians and the ruins Shrines, Temples & Churches Hidden Christians and the ruins
- Nagayu Hot Springs Hot Springs Nagayu Hot Springs
- Kuju Winery Industrial Tourism Kuju Winery
- Taketa Hot spring Hanamizuki Hot Springs Taketa Hot spring Hanamizuki
- Oka Castle Ruins Archaeological Sites & Ruins Oka Castle Ruins
- Bamboo Lantern Festival Festivals & Ceremonies Bamboo Lantern Festival
- Kuju Flower Park Japanese Gardens & Parks Kuju Flower Park
- Oku-bungo Olle Natural Scenery Oku-bungo Olle
- Spring water Natural Scenery Spring water
- Kuju Highland Natural Scenery Kuju Highland
- Hakusui Dam Natural Scenery Hakusui Dam
- "Usuki-Takeyoi (うすき竹宵)", "tikuraku (竹楽)", "Sen'nen-Akari (千年あかり)" Festivals & Ceremonies "Usuki-Takeyoi (うすき竹宵)", "tikuraku (竹楽)", "Sen'nen-Akari (千年あかり)"
- Kan'non-ji Temple "Jurokurakan" Shrines, Temples & Churches Kan'non-ji Temple "Jurokurakan"
- Fumio Asakura Museum of Sculpture (Asakura Fumio Memorial Park) Museums Fumio Asakura Museum of Sculpture (Asakura Fumio Memorial Park)