The largest hot water ”gusher” in Japan. Various strange sites can be viewed on a tour of ”Hell.”
Beppu is located in the central part of Oita, on the coast of Beppu Bay faces the sea, with Mt. Tsurumi and the rest of the Tsurumi Volcanoes in the rear. Hot water gushes at many spots in the city. Beppu ranks first in gush volume in Japan and is in a high place in the world in the number of sources and the variety of chemical properties. The Beppu-onsen Spa consists of eight hot spring areas including Hamawaki, Beppu, Kankaiji, Myoban and Kannawa, which are collectively called "Beppu Hatto". In addition, there are many modern spa resorts also supplied from the rich sources in those areas.
The Tour of Hell along a path in the Kannawa area is the highlight of sightseeing in the Beppu Spa. Eight spots including the Umi-jigoku (sea hell) made up of bright cobalt blue hot water, the Chi-no-ike-jigoku (blood pond hell) where hot water containing red melted clay gushes out and the Tatsumaki-jigoku (tornado hell), a geyser, are usually on the itinerary of the tour.
On the outskirts of Beppu are comfortable resort areas with many leisure activity facilities such as the Takasaki Shizen-dobutsu-en(Mt. Takasaki Monkey Land Natural Park) featuring a specifies of monkey native of Japan designated as a Natural Monument and Lake Shidaka-ko amid Mt. Tsurumi-dake, Mt. Yufu-dake and other mountains.
[Air] An hour 40 minutes from Tokyo Haneda Airport to Oita Airport. An hour from Osaka Itami Airport. 45 minutes by bus from Oita Airport to Beppu. Twelve minutes from Oita Station to Beppu Station on the JR Nippo Honsen Line.
Around the Beppu Area
- Beppu Foreign Tourist Office Tourist Information Offices Beppu Foreign Tourist Office
- Beppu Bamboo Basketry Look for Traditional Crafts Beppu Bamboo Basketry
- Beppu Christmas HANABI Fantasia Festivals & Ceremonies Beppu Christmas HANABI Fantasia
- Takegawa Hot Springs Hot Springs Takegawa Hot Springs
- Jigoku meguri Hot Springs Jigoku meguri
- Hyotan Hot Springs Hot Springs Hyotan Hot Springs
- Beacon Plaza Commercial Complexes & Observation Towers Beacon Plaza
- Lake Shidaka-ko Scenic Landscapes Lake Shidaka-ko
- Ohara-tei (Site of Old Samurai Residence) Historical Architectures Ohara-tei (Site of Old Samurai Residence)
- Nakane-tei (Site of Old Samurai Residence) Historical Architectures Nakane-tei (Site of Old Samurai Residence)
- Beppu City Traditional Bamboo Crafts Center Museums Beppu City Traditional Bamboo Crafts Center
- Jigokumushi Industrial Tourism Jigokumushi
- Beppu Station (station, Information Center) Transport Facilities Beppu Station (station, Information Center)
- Beppu Beach Sand Bath Municipal Hot Springs Hot Springs Beppu Beach Sand Bath Municipal Hot Springs