World Cultural Heritage Sites are dotted throughout the district. Villas that were home to Heian aristocrats in the 8th century.
The area in northwestern Kyoto along the road between the Kinugasa and Omuro districts, with Mt. Kinugasa-yama in the background, flourished with villas of aristocrats and the Imperial Family during the Heian Period in the 8th century. Many temples and shrines were built along this road, known as Kinukake-no-michi, including Kinkaku-ji Temple, or Golden Pavilion, a World Cultural Heritage Site, as well as Nin'na-ji and Ryoan-ji temples. The trees in the area are covered with beautifully colored leaves in the fall.
Kinkaku-ji Temple is a three-storied wooden structure covered with gold leaf. The glittering beauty of the temple was restored in 1988, after work on the gold leaf was completed. The stone garden at Ryoan-ji Temple represents Zen philosophy, with 15 stones of different sizes placed in white sand. The perfection of its simple beauty attracts many viewers.
The graceful Nin'na-ji Temple was erected by Emperor Uda in the 9th century. At the end of spring, two-meter-tall Omuro-zakura cherry trees adorn the temple with lovely blossoms. Another feature of the district is the Kyoto Prefectural Insho Domoto Museum of Fine Arts, which exhibits Japanese paintings by Insho Domoto, whose style is famous for its bright colors and modern feel.
[Rail] 2h 15 min to Kyoto Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line 'Nozomi.'(2h 45 min by 'Hikari')
[Rail] 28 min to Kyoto Station by JR Tokaido Line (new rapid service).
To Kinugasa: 25 min from Kyoto Station to Kinkaku-ji by bus.
To Omuro: 35 min from Kyoto Station to Omuro-Nin'naji by bus.
Around the Kinugasa/Omuro Area
- Orinasukan Museums Orinasukan
- Toei Kyoto Studio Park Theme Parks Toei Kyoto Studio Park
- Ryoan-ji Hojo Temple Garden Japanese Gardens & Parks Ryoan-ji Hojo Temple Garden
- Myoshin-ji Temple/Taizo-in Temple/Keishun-in Temple/Daishin-in Temple Japanese Gardens & Parks Myoshin-ji Temple/Taizo-in Temple/Keishun-in Temple/Daishin-in Temple
- Kinkaku-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Kinkaku-ji Temple
- Ninna-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Ninna-ji Temple
- Koryu-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Koryu-ji Temple
- Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Kitano Tenman-gu Shrine
- Kyoto Prefectural Insho-Domoto Museum of Fine Arts Museums Kyoto Prefectural Insho-Domoto Museum of Fine Arts