The sightseeing center of Kyoto, preserving a variety of architecture and gardens, as well as many cultural masterpieces.
The eastern part of Kyoto's city center is called Higashiyama, located at the west end of the Higashiyama Mountain Range. As early as the middle of the 14th century, many shrines, temples and aristocrats' villas were built in this area, where a variety of architecture and gardens, artistic and cultural masterpieces such as paintings and crafts were created. Many artistic activities such as 'ikebana' (flower arrangement), the tea ceremony and Noh performances flourished and developed in this area as well. There are many masterpieces of historic architecture still in existence today, which attract many visitors and tourists from every corner of the world.
In the southern part of the Higashiyama district is the famous Kiyomizu-dera Temple, built halfway up a steep cliff with its main hall projecting over a steep precipice. Yasaka-jinja Shrine, built around the 7th century, is also well known as the central site for the Gion-matsuri Festival that is held in summer.
The northern part of the city is known for Heian-jingu Shrine, where the Jidai-matsuri Festival (Festival of the Ages) is held in fall. It includes a parade that presents costumes, manners and customs from the ancient days. Another attraction is Nanzen-ji Temple, which has a collection of architecture and artwork from the Momoyama Period in the late 16th century.
[Rail] 2h 15 min to Kyoto Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line 'Nozomi.' (2h 45 min by 'Hikari')
[Rail] 28 min to Kyoto Station by JR Tokaido Line (new rapid service).
To Kiyomizu-dera Temple: 10 min from Kyoto Station to Gojo-zaka by bus.
To Heian-jingu Shrine: 30 min from Kyoto Station to Kyoto-kaikan Bijutsu-kan-mae by bus.
Around the Higashiyama Area
- Jidai Matsuri Festivals & Ceremonies Jidai Matsuri
- Kyoto National Museum Museums Kyoto National Museum
- Kiyomizu-dera Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Kiyomizu-dera Temple
- Jisho-ji Temple (Ginkaku-ji Temple) Shrines, Temples & Churches Jisho-ji Temple (Ginkaku-ji Temple)
- Kyoto Handicraft Center Handicrafts Kyoto Handicraft Center
- Takigi O-Noh (Bonfire Noh performance), Kyoto Festivals & Ceremonies Takigi O-Noh (Bonfire Noh performance), Kyoto
- Philosopher's Walk Historic Towns Philosopher's Walk
- Kyo pottery/Kiyomizu pottery Handicrafts Kyo pottery/Kiyomizu pottery
- Chion-in Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Chion-in Temple
- Nanzen-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Nanzen-ji Temple
- Heian-jingu Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Heian-jingu Shrine
- Kyoto Kokuritsu Kindai Bijutsukan (Museum of Modern Art) Museums Kyoto Kokuritsu Kindai Bijutsukan (Museum of Modern Art)
- Konchi-in Temple Garden Japanese Gardens & Parks Konchi-in Temple Garden
More on the Higashiyama Area
- Welcome to Kyoto Welcome to Kyoto
- Kyoto Official Travel Guide Kyoto Official Travel Guide
- Kyoto Walks Kyoto Walks
- Golden Route Golden Route
- Nanzen-ji Temple Nanzen-ji Temple
- World Heritage Site in Japan:Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto World Heritage Site in Japan:Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto
- Kyoto, the city of samurai movies Kyoto, the city of samurai movies