Kochi hosts 20,000 dancers in the annual Yosakoi-matsuri Festival.
Kochi City is located on the Kagami-gawa River delta, at the head of Urado Bay. The city is the political, cultural, economic, and trading center of the prefecture.
The Sunday market, which has a history of more than 300 years, is an important market for Kochi's citizens. As many as 500 open booths are lined in a row eastward from Ote-mon gate for almost 1 km, displaying all kind of goods from everyday items to rarities, including fresh vegetables, fruits, seafood, and antiques.
Hirome Market holds many unique shops such as fresh fish shops, general stores, tailor's shops, and restrants. A lot of local people gather at Hirome Market, as well as many tourists from other prefectures and overseas countries, so the festivities last all day and into the night.
The prefecture's largest event is the Yosakoi-matsuri Festival, which brings together 20,000 dancers. The festival is held annually between 9 and 12 August, and features dancers wielding wooden clappers who compete at various locations around the city. Starting in 1954, the festival is held to pray for a bumper harvest, continued prosperity, and the health of local residents. Each team has its own unique costume with various colors, designs, hairdos, and make-up styles on display. Every unique dance is energetic, and the pulse of this festival stirs the spirits and paints the city in even brighter summer hues.
[Air] 1h 20 min from Haneda to Kochi Ryoma Airport, and 40 min from the airport to JR Kochi Station by bus.
[Rail] 3h 20 min from Tokyo to Okayama Station by JR Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Line, and 2h 30 min from Okayama to Kochi Station by JR Seto-ohashi Dosan Line (express train).
[Air] 40 min from Itami or Kansai International Airport to Kochi Ryoma Airport.
[Rail] 40 min from Shin-Osaka to Okayama Station by Shinkansen.
Around the Kochi City
- Kochi prefecture 「i」 information office Tourist Information Offices Kochi prefecture 「i」 information office
- Harimaya-bashi Bridge Historic Towns Harimaya-bashi Bridge
- Chikurin-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Chikurin-ji Temple
- Kochi Kenritsu Sakamoto Ryoma Kinenkan Museums Kochi Kenritsu Sakamoto Ryoma Kinenkan
- Kochi Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum) Museums Kochi Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum)
- Tosa-jinja Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Tosa-jinja Shrine
- Kochi Castle Castles Kochi Castle
More on the Kochi City
- Yosakoi Net Yosakoi Net
- 3-Day Sample Travel Plan 3-Day Sample Travel Plan
- Kochi Castle Kochi Castle
- Kochi Kenritsu Sakamoto Ryoma Kinenkan Kochi Kenritsu Sakamoto Ryoma Kinenkan
- Kochi Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum) Kochi Kenritsu Bijutsukan (Art Museum)
- Chikurin-ji Temple Chikurin-ji Temple
- Tosa-jinja Shrine Tosa-jinja Shrine