Center of economy, commerce and culture for the Hokuriku region. A prosperous castle town for over 300 years.
Kanazawa, the seat of the prefectural office, is made up of three hills, the Kodatsuno Plateau that stretches southeast between the Asano-gawa and Sai-kawa rivers and Mt. Utatsu-yama and Teramachidai, which spread out on both sides. It is the center of economy, commerce, and culture in the Hokuriku region. Kanazawa has prospered for some 300 years since the feudal lord Maeda Toshiie built a castle here in the late 16th century.
At the center of the city lies the Kenroku-en Garden, famous for the "Yukitsuri," ropes stretched from the top of a tree to the lower branches like an umbrella to protect it from snow damage. Kenroku-en is one of the three most famous gardens in Japan, along with the Kairaku-en Garden in Mito and the Koraku-en Garden in Okayama. Beginning in 1676, it took about 170 years to construct the 105,000-square-meter garden.
Kanazawa has Tera-machi, where 70 temples are gathered together, Owari-cho lined with long-standing stores, and many other historical districts, which happily blend with the modern, fashionable town of Korinbo. It offers a variety of attractions. Many shops carry "Kaga-yuzen," dyed silk designated an important intangible cultural asset, Kutaniyaki pottery characterized by placid patterns and vivid colors, gold leaf craftwork called "Kanazawa-haku," and other traditional arts and crafts.
[Air] 1h from Haneda to Komatsu Airport.
[Rail] 2h 30 min from Tokyo to Kanazawa by JR Hokuriku Shinkansen Line.
[Rail] 2h 30 min to Kanazawa Station by JR Hokuriku Line (limited express).
[Rail] 3h to Kanazawa Station by Shirasagi(limited express).
Around the Kanazawa Area
- KANAZAWA KOKUSAI HOTEL Tourist Information Offices KANAZAWA KOKUSAI HOTEL
- Kanazawa Station Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Kanazawa Station Tourist Information Center
- Kanazawa Hakuchoro Hotel Tourist Information Offices Kanazawa Hakuchoro Hotel
- Ishikawa Prefectural Museum of Art Museums Ishikawa Prefectural Museum of Art
- Traditional Art & Craft of Ishikawa Museums Traditional Art & Craft of Ishikawa
- Nagamachi Buke Yashiki District Historic Towns Nagamachi Buke Yashiki District
- Kenrokuen Garden Japanese Gardens & Parks Kenrokuen Garden
- Kanazawa lacquerware Handicrafts Kanazawa lacquerware
- Kaga Yuzen Handicrafts Kaga Yuzen
- 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa Museums 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa
More on the Kanazawa Area
- Ishikawa Prefecture Official Guide Ishikawa Prefecture Official Guide
- Kanazawa city Kanazawa city
- Kanazawa and Noto Peninsula Kanazawa and Noto Peninsula
- Golden Route:Departure from Tokyo Golden Route:Departure from Tokyo
- 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa
- The Three-star Road – A new route to fully enjoy Japanese atmosphere The Three-star Road – A new route to fully enjoy Japanese atmosphere
- Volunteer Guides to take you around Japan Volunteer Guides to take you around Japan