A lagoon that changes color seven times a day. Centuries-old hot springs discovered 1,300 years ago.
Kaga-onsen-kyo is a hot spring village located at the southern end of the Kanazawa Plain that surrounds Kaga in southern Ishikawa. This district has four hot springs (Yamashiro, Awazu, Yamanaka, and Katayamazu), and is called "Okuzashiki of Kansai," a hot spring to be enjoyed by the people of the Kansai area.
The Yamashiro-onsen Hot Spring is believed to have been discovered about 1,300 years ago. It is noted for the Yu-no-kuruwa quarter, where long-established inns characterized by red latticework gather around a gorgeous public bathhouse, "Soyu Yokuden." Another old hot spring, Awazu, is a popular sightseeing spot with its Yunokuni-no-Mori, or a forest of hot springs, where visitors can enjoy Kutani-yaki pottery, Wajima lacquerware, Kaga-Yuzen printed silk, gold leaf craftwork, and many other traditional arts and crafts of Ishikawa.
The Yamanaka-onsen Hot Spring is encircled by the Mizunashi-gawa River, Mt. Yakushi-yama, and Mt. Higashi-yama. The Katayamazu-onsen Hot Spring stretches along the Shibayama-gata Lagoon, which changes color seven times a day, and offers a panoramic view of the Haku-san Mountain Range on fine days. Both hot springs receive a ceaseless flow of visitors who seek these wonderful scenic sites. Yamanaka is also known for Yamanaka lacquerware and its unique culture.
[Air] 1h from Haneda to Komatsu Airport.
[Rail] 2h 30 min from Tokyo to Kanazawa by JR Hokuriku Shinkansen Line and 30 min from Kanazawa to Kaga-onsen Station by JR Hokuriku Line (limited express).
*In spring of 2015, the Hokuriku Shinkansen bullet train line will reach Kanazawa. It will be able to run between Tokyo and Kanazawa about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
[Rail] 2h 20 min to Kaga-onsen Station by JR Hokuriku Line (limited express)
Around the Kaga/Komatsu Area
- Kaga City Tourist Information Center KAGA TABI･MACHI NET Tourist Information Offices Kaga City Tourist Information Center KAGA TABI･MACHI NET
- Hokuriku Expressway AMAGOZEN Service Area Area Concierge(Inbound) Tourist Information Offices Hokuriku Expressway AMAGOZEN Service Area Area Concierge(Inbound)
- Hokuriku Expressway AMAGOZEN Service Area Area Concierge(Outbound) Tourist Information Offices Hokuriku Expressway AMAGOZEN Service Area Area Concierge(Outbound)
- Yamanaka lacquerware Handicrafts Yamanaka lacquerware
- Kutani ware Handicrafts Kutani ware
- Katayamazu-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Katayamazu-onsen Hot Spring
- Yamanaka-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Yamanaka-onsen Hot Spring
- Awazu-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Awazu-onsen Hot Spring
- Yamashiro-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Yamashiro-onsen Hot Spring