The Hie-jinja Shrine was established in 1478 by the regional lord, Ota Dokan, to enshrine the apportioned spirit of the Kawagoe Sannou-sha Shrine as the guardian deity of the land of Edo (todays Tokyo), while he ruled it and built Edo Castle. In 1659, it was moved to the current location in the Akasaka district, south of the Imperial Palace. The shrine holds the Sanno Matsuri (festival). Along with the Kanda Matsuri, it was one of the Tenka [World's Greatest] Matsuri, which the shogun attended during the Tokugawa period, and is now counted as one of the three largest festivals in Japan, together with the Gion Matsuri in Kyoto and the Tenjin Matsuri in Osaka. The Hie Shrine preserves many important treasures, such as the "Itomaki-no-Tachi" (long sword with lacing on the scabbard) by Ichimonji Norimune (national treasure) and a sword by Bishu Osafune Nagamitsu that was owned by Emperor Meiji.'
Address: 2-10-5 Nagata-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Admission Fee: Free in the shrine precincts
Closed: Open to the public for events only
[Rail]JR Tokyo Stn./Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line/10-min. ride/Akasakamitsuke Stn./On foot/8 min.