Moji Port Retro Area
Encountering many western architectural structures of old at the famous trading port that supported the modernization of Japan
Moji Port, located in the northern part of Kyushu, was designated in 1889 as a special national port for exporting products such as coal. With its locational advantage of being close to China, it made a rapid and notable development as a trading port with many trading vessels and passenger vessels coming and going. The port made an important contribution to the modernization of Japan, and also served an important role as a transport base for troops and military goods during the Sino-Japanese War and the Russo-Japanese War. Under such trend, many financial institutions and trading companies rushed to start business in Moji. The area around Moji Port prospered greatly by around the early 20th century.
Although Moji Port flourished from the Meiji Period to the early Showa Period, the place gradually went into decline after Japan lost World War II and demand for coal shrank. However, many precious architectural structures of the Meiji and Taisho Periods, including the former Moji Customs Building built in 1912, the wooden Moji Station building (currently Mojiko Station) built in 1914, and the Former Osaka Shosen Building built in 1917, are now symbols of the town, and the place is again in the spotlight, as a tourist attraction.
The place is now very popular as a major sightseeing spot, referred to as the "Moji Port Retro Area," visited by about 2 million people a year. It is definitely worth taking a look at this exotic townscape, where many old western architectural structures are lined up.
Address: Moji-ku, Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka
Phone: 093-332-0106 (Mojiko Retro Club)
Directions: (Traom) At Mojiko Station on the JR Kagoshima Line (30 minutes from Hakata Station). (Car) Moji Interchange on the Kitakyushu Expressway.