What is Kinugawa Boat Rides
One of Tochigi Prefecture’s most popular attractions is a traditional boat ride through the Kinugawa Onsen. The scenery surrounding the Kinugawa River is no less striking and accounts for some of the most dramatic in Japan.
Take the Kinugawa Line Kudari River Cruise in traditional wooden boats to discover this incredible view for yourself.
Boat rides at Kinugawa let visitors explore the 6 kilometer river. A boat captain administers the tour, while displaying his skills in directing the wooden boats using one oar. The boats sail from Kinugawa Onsen to Otoro.
What to expect
- Cruises usually last for 30-40 minutes.
- Wearing a life jacket is required.
- The boat is made out of wood, traditional in style. The guides wear a historical garb and paddle with oars.
- Visitors are seated on bamboo mats as the boat traverses through gentle river bends and minor rapids. The ride may get rocky, but it is completely safe.
- Cherry blossom foliage and weeping wisteria make for a heady, scented journey. The verdant green trees shield the summer’s heat.
- Visitors may catch glimpses of wildlife like wild deer, monkeys, and birds of prey during the cruise.
When it is
Cruises generally run from April to November. Reservations are recommended.
The surrounding scenery is popular all throughout the year, but Autumn is one of the most popular times for cruising.
Where it is
Kinugawaonsen Ohara, Nikko-shi, Tochigi-ken
The cruise departure point is a short walk from Kinugawa Onsen Station. Once your cruise is over, take the free shuttle bus and return to Kinugawa Onsen Station.