Subway lines are available in all major cities, and provide prompt, efficient transportation. JR Yamanote-sen loop line in Tokyo and its Osaka kanjo-sen loop line both circle the center of their respective cities. In Tokyo, JR rates start from 130 Japanese yen, subway fares at 160 Japanese yen for Tokyo Metro and Toei (Metropolitan) lines, and both increase with the distance traveled. Almost all station have vending machines for tickets and automatic ticket-checking mashines at their entrance/exit gates.
↓ Subway maps written in English are available at sites below.
- Tokyo Subway Network (Tokyo Metro Lines)
- Tokyo Subway Network (Toei Lines)
- Public transport in Kyoto
- Osaka Subway Network
- Fukuoka City Subway
- Transportation Bureau, City of Nagoya
- Sendai City Transportation Bureau
- Transportation Bureau, City of Yokohama