Tea house where a local lord at the end of Edo Eriod (1853-1868) developed secret plans to bring down the Shogunate
The building is in Kozan-koen Park developed around Ruriko-ji Temple that is a National Treasure. In the park there are a number of historic buildings related to Meiji Restoration (successive reforms to establish a new imperial system.)
At the end of Edo period (1603-1868) called Bakumatsu (1853-1868), there were political movements to bring down Edo Shogunate (Japan had been governed by warrior class and Tokugawa family controlled the government based in Edo Castle) and establish a new government. Mori Motochika, the domain lord at the time, moved the capital to Yamaguchi and built a tea house at the foot of Mount Ichiro (in the present prefectural government.) Under the disguise of tea ceremony, the lord and his subordinate warriors secretly discussed overthrowing of the Edo government. In 1891 after the Meiji Restoration, the tea house that is the present Rosan-do was moved to the current location.
The Kozan-koen Park is dotted with remnants such as Chinryu-tei and Rosan-do from the days of the Meiji Restoration that was the transition stage to modern government, arousing interest in the modern history of Japan. The 5-story pagoda of Ruriko-ji in the park was built during Muromachi period and the symbol of sightseeing in Yamaguchi. The pagoda is illuminated for several hours after sunset. The park is also famous for cherry and plum blossoms attracting a large number of visitors in early spring.
- Kozan-cho, Yamaguchi City, Yamaguchi
- 083-934-2810 (Yamaguchi City Tourism Department)
- Admission Fee
- Free admission to the Kozan-koen Park
- Car parking availalbe