A historical structure that watches over the progress of Sapporo, its bell rings every hour to announce the time to the city.
The clock tower was built in 1878 as a theatrical hall of the Sapporo Agricultural School, present day Hokkaido University. It was used as a facility where Agricultural School students conducted their military training and physical education, and as the main hall where commencement and other ceremonies were held. Its main characteristic is the balloon-type wooden architecture, popular in the mid and western regions of America during the frontier era. It is well known for its red roof and white walls, but during the time that it was used as the public library the color of its walls is said to have been green. Visitors can learn about the history of the Clock Tower, including the incident of the big fire, in the exhibition room on the first floor.
- SAPPORO ＆ HOKKAIDO CONCIERGE CENTER Tourist Information Offices SAPPORO ＆ HOKKAIDO CONCIERGE CENTER
- Mt. Moiwa-yama Scenic Landscapes Mt. Moiwa-yama
- Shiroi Koibito Park Industrial Tourism Shiroi Koibito Park
- Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium Sports Facilities Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium
- Former Hokkaido Government Office Historical Architectures Former Hokkaido Government Office
- Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art Museums Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art
- Hitsuji-ga-oka (hill of sheep) Cityscapes Hitsuji-ga-oka (hill of sheep)
- Takino Suzuran Hillside Park Snow World Japanese Gardens & Parks Takino Suzuran Hillside Park Snow World