Shiozawa-tsumugi and Hon-Shiozawa are high quality silks produced in the Shiozawa region of Niigata Prefecture, where traditional weaving techniques are still used. Shiozawa-tsumugi and Hon-Shiozawa have been designated traditional crafts by the Japanese government. Shiozawa-tsumugi is based on kinu chijimi (silk crepe) which utilizes a technique employed for hemp textiles such as Echigo-chijimi. Hon-Shiozawa is given a distinctive silky finish using hatcho twisted yarn, for which yarns are twisted seven to eight times more tightly than normal yarn. The fabric is then used for making kimono.
- Shiozawa Tsumugi Memorial Hall:1227-1 Shiozawa, Minami-uonuma-shi, Niigata
- Echigo-Yuzawa Onsen Hot Springs Tourism Association Tourist Information Offices Echigo-Yuzawa Onsen Hot Springs Tourism Association
- Area Information Center Tourist Information Offices Area Information Center
- Tokamachi Tourist Information Tourist Information Offices Tokamachi Tourist Information
- Ponshukan Sake and Rice Museum Museums Ponshukan Sake and Rice Museum
- Echigo-Yuzawa-onsen Hot Spring Hot Springs Echigo-Yuzawa-onsen Hot Spring
- Tokamachi Gasuri Learn about Traditional Crafts Tokamachi Gasuri