The liitle Kyoto of West Japan features storehouses that display unique architecture. A long history of cultural exchange with the Korean Peninsula.
Yamaguchi is situated on the westernmost tip of Honshu. Because of its geographical location and ocean current, it has long had cultural exchanges with the Korean Peninsula.
The Boyo-shoto Islands, that are strung between Yamaguchi and Ehime, belong to Seto Inland Sea National Park. Various islands on the moderate inland sea, a winding coastline, white sand and green pine trees are mingled among terraced fields and houses, creating attractive scenery.
Hagi, which overlooks the Sea of Japan, is a former castle town of Hagi Castle, established in the early 17th century. The city still features ancient paths and storehouses with walls covered with square tiles jointed with raised plaster, a style known as 'namako.'
Yamaguchi City is situated in the center of the prefecture. Since it imitated Kyoto, the then capital of Japan in the mid-14th century, it was called the "Kyoto of the West," and the city prospered. Every summer the Yamaguchi Gion-matsuri Festival is held there, an event that echoes Kyoto's famous Gion-matsuri Festival.
Shimonoseki, situated on the westernmost tip of the prefecture, faces the island of Kyushu's Moji Port with the Kanmon Strait in between, and is connected to the neighboring island by the 3,461-meter-long Kanmon Tunnel (780 meters of which runs beneath the sea).
[Air] 1h 30 min from Haneda to Yamaguchi Ube Airport, and 30 min from the airport to Shin-Yamaguchi Station by bus.
[Rail] 4h 30 min from Tokyo to Shin-Yamaguchi Station by JR Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Line, and 23 min from Shin-Yamaguchi to Yamaguchi Station by JR Yamaguchi Line.
[Rail] 2h from Shin-Osaka to Shin-Yamaguchi Station by Shinkansen.
Things to Do
Yamaguchi's Cities & Regions
More on Yamaguchi Pref.
- Visit Yamaguchi - Japan travel guide - Visit Yamaguchi - Japan travel guide -
- Download Tourist brochure Download Tourist brochure
- Chugoku Region Tourist Spots 【PDF:8.1MB】 Chugoku Region Tourist Spots 【PDF:8.1MB】
- Chugoku Region Model Routes 【PDF:7.6MB】 Chugoku Region Model Routes 【PDF:7.6MB】
- Hagi, Tsuwano & Akiyoshi-do Cave [PDF] Hagi, Tsuwano & Akiyoshi-do Cave [PDF]
- 3-Day Sample Travel Plan 3-Day Sample Travel Plan
- Tourist Facilities in Yamaguchi Tourist Facilities in Yamaguchi
- Setonaikai National Park (Yamaguchi Prefecture) Setonaikai National Park (Yamaguchi Prefecture)
- Local Cuisine of the Chugoku Region Local Cuisine of the Chugoku Region