An ancient center of Buddhist culture. Rugged, deep ravines extend radially throughout the entire scenic region.
Projecting between the Suo-nada Sea in the Seto Inland Sea and the Iyo-nada Sea, the Kunisaki-hanto Peninsula is formed of large conical volcanoes including 731 m-high Mt. Futago in a northeastern part of Oita. Twenty-eight ravines extend radially with many strangely shaped rocks and stones along them. Ancient Buddhist culture came to stay here, and Buddhist culture unique to this peninsula developed. Many temples and Buddhist remains are scattered all over the peninsula.
In the huge premises, about 150,000 km2 in area, of the Usa-jingu Shrine, which is the head shrine for all Hachimangu Shrines throughout Japan, Uemiya, Shimomiya and other buildings are positioned in an orderly arrangement. The Hatsusawa-ike Pond filled with clean water is located along the front approach beyond the divine bridge.
This center of Buddhist culture boasts many Buddhist National Treasures and Important Cultural Properties such as a wooden figure of Amida-nyorai (Amitabha Tathagata) and wall paintings in colors in the Fuki-ji Temple, statues of Shitenno, the Four Deva Kings in Maki-Odo and a figure of Fudo, the god of fire, known as "Kumano-magai-butsu". Exhibits related to the history and culture of Oita are presented on a regular basis at the Oita Prefectural Museum of History on a hill called Usa-fudoki-no-oka where visitors can get a good knowledge of the Buddhist culture introduced into Oita.
[Air] An hour 40 minutes from Tokyo Haneda Airport to Oita Airport. An hour from Osaka Itami Airport. Fifty-five minutes by bus from Oita Airport to Oita Station. Thirty minutes by Limited Express from Oita Station to Usa Station on the JR Nippo Honsen Line.
Around the Kunisaki-hanto Peninsula Area
- Kumano-magai-butsu Archaeological Sites & Ruins Kumano-magai-butsu
- Oita Prefectural Museum of History Museums Oita Prefectural Museum of History
- "Showa no Machi" in Bungo Takada Historic Towns "Showa no Machi" in Bungo Takada
- Myoban Onsen Hot Springs Myoban Onsen
- Fuki-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Fuki-ji Temple
- Kitsuki Castle Castles Kitsuki Castle
- Kyushu Natural Zoological Park "African Safari" Zoological & Botanical Gardens, Aquariums Kyushu Natural Zoological Park "African Safari"
- Oita Airport Transport Facilities Oita Airport
- Usa Shrine Shrines, Temples & Churches Usa Shrine