The stone-paved slope with Western-style houses and Koshi-byo Shrine are both popular attractions in this exotic atmosphere.
The area located north to northeast of Nagasaki Port is divided into the Higashi-Yamate and Minami-Yamate districts.
Higashi-Yamate became a settlement of foreigners in the middle of the 19th century, and many consulates were established there. Located in the district are the Higashi-Yamate Western-style Houses, which are assumed to have been used as rental housing for foreigners at the end of the 19th century, and are now used as restaurants and museums. The stone-paved slope between these houses and the Kwassui Women's College is called the Oranda-zaka, or Dutch Slope. On the Dutch Slope is the Higashi-Yamate Juniban-kan Mansion, which was previously used as the Russian Consulate and later as the American Consulate, and now serves as the Historical Museum of Private Schools.
Standing just beneath the Higashi-Yamate Western-Style Houses is the Koshi-byo, Confucius Shrine. It was constructed by Chinese residents in cooperation with the Chinese government at the end of the 19th century, and is known as the only Koshi-byo that the Chinese have constructed overseas. The neighboring Historical Museum of China displays items considered to be on par with Chinese national treasures.
The Japan's oldest wooden Christian church, O-ura Tenshu-do Cathedral, stands in Minami-Yamate in an area that used to be another settlement of foreigners. Also located there is the Glover Garden into which nine western-style buildings, including the Glover's residence which is designated as an important cultural property, were moved and are maintained, as well as the Mary Garden, Kinen-zaka (Prayers' Slope) and Dondon-zaka Slope. These and other attractions make Nagasaki an exotic and attractive place to visit.
[Air] 1h 50 min from Haneda to Nagasaki Airport.
[Rail] 7h 15 min from Tokyo via Hakata to Nagasaki Station by JR Shinkansen Line.
[Air] 1h 10 min from Itami to Nagasaki Airport.
[Rail] 4h 35 min from Shin-Osaka via Hakata to Nagasaki Station by Shinkansen.
Around the Yamate Area
- Nagasaki Kunchi Festival Festivals & Ceremonies Nagasaki Kunchi Festival
- O-ura Tenshu-do Cathedral Shrines, Temples & Churches O-ura Tenshu-do Cathedral
- Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture Museums Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- Nagasaki Ken Bijutsukan (Art Museum) Museums Nagasaki Ken Bijutsukan (Art Museum)
More on the Yamate Area
- Nagasaki City Tourism Guide Amazing Nagasaki Nagasaki City Tourism Guide Amazing Nagasaki
- Nagasaki official visitor guide Nagasaki official visitor guide
- Nagasaki, Unzen, Goto Islands, Iki & Tsushima Nagasaki, Unzen, Goto Islands, Iki & Tsushima
- Nagasaki Kenritsu Bijutsu Hakubutsukan (Art Museum) Nagasaki Kenritsu Bijutsu Hakubutsukan (Art Museum)
- Nagasaki Kunchi Festival Nagasaki Kunchi Festival
- Road trip through Nagasaki, a place of light and wind Road trip through Nagasaki, a place of light and wind