The modern station area is surrounded by ancient temples, preserving the atmosphere of old Kyoto.
JR Kyoto Station is the starting point for sightseeing in Kyoto, a city where the old and new exist side by side. The station building, a new landmark of the old city of Kyoto, opened in 1997 and boasts of a concourse with an impressive 60-meter-long atrium, a 45-meter-long raised glass passageway connecting the eastern and western parts of the station, and a large 171 step set of stairs. It is a terminal for a city of the future.
Surrounding the station are modern areas where department stores, restaurants, shopping arcades, theaters and hotels can be found. On the other hand, old temples, such as Higashi-Hongan-ji, Nishi-Hongan-ji and To-ji, also dot the area, providing an oasis in the city, with remnants of the old city and resting places for the people of Kyoto. Nishi-Hongan-ji Temple, commonly known as "Onishi-san," is the head temple of the Jodo-shinshu Hongan-ji sect, and includes in its spacious grounds the Goei-do and Hiunkaku buildings, and Kara-mon Gate. The most popular structure, however, is the Shoin, where dazzling masterpieces of 16th century art can be seen in the murals and decorations found inside.
The 56.9-meter-tall, five-story pagoda in To-ji Temple is the largest of the ancient pagodas still in existence, and a symbol of Kyoto. The twenty-one Buddhist statues found in the auditorium are considered to be the physical expression of esoteric Buddhist teaching.
From Osaka(Kansai Airport):
[Rail] 1h 15 min from Kansai Airport to Kyoto Station by JR Line "Haruka" (limited-stop express).
[Bus] 1h 35 min from Kansai Airport to Kyoto Station by Airport Limousine Bus.
[Rail] 28 min to Kyoto Station by JR Tokaido Line (new rapid service).
[Rail] 2h 15 min to Kyoto Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line 'Nozomi.'
(2h 45 min by 'Hikari')
Around the Around Kyoto Station
- Kyoto Tourist Information Center Tourist Information Offices Kyoto Tourist Information Center
- Daimonji Gozan Okuribi Festivals & Ceremonies Daimonji Gozan Okuribi
- Kyoto station tourist information center Tourist Information Offices Kyoto station tourist information center
- kotochika kyoto station Tourist information center Tourist Information Offices kotochika kyoto station Tourist information center
- To-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches To-ji Temple
- Kyosendo Learn about Traditional Crafts Kyosendo
- Toh-shiya (Archery Contest) Festivals & Ceremonies Toh-shiya (Archery Contest)
- Kyoto Aquarium Zoological & Botanical Gardens, Aquariums Kyoto Aquarium
- Kyoto Station Transport Facilities Kyoto Station
- Kyoo-Gokoku-ji Temple (To-ji Temple) Shrines, Temples & Churches Kyoo-Gokoku-ji Temple (To-ji Temple)
- Rengeo-in Temple (Sanjusangen-do) Shrines, Temples & Churches Rengeo-in Temple (Sanjusangen-do)
- Nishi Hongan-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Nishi Hongan-ji Temple
- Higashi Hongan-ji Temple Shrines, Temples & Churches Higashi Hongan-ji Temple