A picturesque town with one of the three most beautiful festivals in Japan.
Takayama is located in northern Gifu Prefecture. It is most famous for the Sanno-machi Historic District and the biannual Takayama Festival, which has been designated as one of Japan’s most beautiful festivals. During the festival, intricately crafted festival floats are displayed in the city. The floats themselves are testament to the region’s history and are a chance to see the culmination of hundred’s of years worth of artistry and craftsmanship. The Takayama Festival is held in the spring and fall every year and is attended by thousands of visitors from all over Japan and the world.
Takayama Jinya is a historic government house that was built by the central government in the 17th century. It is the only remaining office of its kind in Japan and is open for tours daily.
Hida Takayama Matsuri no Mori and the Yatai Kaikan are two recommended museums that visitors interested in the Takayama Festival and local artistry are sure to enjoy.
Images of life on farming villages in the Hida region are on display at the Hida Folk Museum (Minzoku-kan).
Hida no Sato is an outdoor museum that displays traditional architecture and thatched roof-houses, some of which have been relocated from the UNESCO World Heritage Site Shirakawa-go.
Every morning a farmer’s market is held along the Miya River and in front of Takayama Jinya. Local farmers and craftsmen sell everything from vegetables and pickles to carvings and clothes.
There are many skiing resorts in the Takayama area, which are open during the winter months. The nearby mountains, such as Mt. Norikura are popular for sightseeing and trekking. Additionally the World Heritage Site Shirakawa-go is just a 50 minute bus ride away.
[Rail] 2h to Nagoya Station by JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line, and 2h 10 min from Nagoya to Takayama Station by JR Takayama Line (limited express).
[Rail] 1h from Shin-Osaka to Nagoya Station by Shinkansen Line, and 2h 10 min from Nagoya to Takayama Station by JR Takayama Line (limited express).
[Rail] 2h 10 min to Takayama Station by JR Takayama Line (limited express).
Around the Takayama Area
- Takayama Green Hotel Tourist Information Offices Takayama Green Hotel
- TAKAYAMA NOHI BUS CENTER Tourist Information Offices TAKAYAMA NOHI BUS CENTER
- HIDA HOTEL PLAZA Tourist Information Offices HIDA HOTEL PLAZA
- Hida Takayama Tourist Information Office Tourist Information Offices Hida Takayama Tourist Information Office
- iSite TAKAYAMA Tourist Information Offices iSite TAKAYAMA
- Sanno-machi Historic District Historic Towns Sanno-machi Historic District
- Takayama Festival Festivals & Ceremonies Takayama Festival
- Takayama Matsuri Autumn Festival Festivals & Ceremonies Takayama Matsuri Autumn Festival
- Hida Shunkei lacquer Learn about Traditional Crafts Hida Shunkei lacquer
- Ichii Itto carving (yew carving) Learn about Traditional Crafts Ichii Itto carving (yew carving)
- Hida Takayama Museum of Art Museums Hida Takayama Museum of Art
More on the Takayama Area
- Gifu tour guide Gifu tour guide
- Hida Takayama HP English Hida Takayama HP English
- Takayama & Shirakawago Takayama & Shirakawago
- Interesting Travel Story Interesting Travel Story
- Golden Route:Departure from Tokyo Golden Route:Departure from Tokyo
- Takayama Festival Takayama Festival
- Takayama Matsuri Autumn Festival Takayama Matsuri Autumn Festival
- Expore Hida District with the Value Ticket!(JR-Central) Expore Hida District with the Value Ticket!(JR-Central)
- The Three-star Road – A new route to fully enjoy Japanese atmosphere The Three-star Road – A new route to fully enjoy Japanese atmosphere
- Experience the beauty of autumn in Japan Experience the beauty of autumn in Japan