Home > Plan Your Trip > Essential Info > Accident, Theft, or Other Emergency

Accident, Theft, or Other Emergency

Essential Info

Plan Your Trip

Foreign Embassies in Japan

In an emergency, your country's embassy is often a good first point of contact. If you lose your passport, you will need to contact your embassy to arrange a replacement (always carry a copy of your passport in your luggage and separate from your other documents; keep a copy at home, as well, in case your luggage is lost or stolen). While embassy staff are limited in the other services they can provide, and are required to follow local laws at all times, they may have other information and resources to offer the traveler in need. The link below provides a list of all major embassies located in Japan, along with their addresses and phone numbers.

Foreign Embassies in Japan

Credit Card / Traveler's Checks / Airline ticket

If you should lose your credit card, traveler's checks, or your airline ticket, contact the issuers directly to arrange for replacements. We recommend that you keep a list of toll free numbers for the issuers of your cards and tickets separate from those items themselves, but if you have not done so, here are links to contact information for major credit card companies and airlines with offices in Japan.

Credit Card Companies
Traveler's Checks
Major Airlines

Theft, car accidents, and other emergencies

Theft, car accidents, and other emergencies can occur anywhere, and can happen to even the most careful traveler. If the incident occurred in your hotel, you should contact the front desk manager or concierge first, and they can help you take the necessary steps. If you are in your hotel during an earthquake or other natural disaster, again, follow the instructions of the hotel staff to assure your safety. In other cases, you may need to report the incident to the local police; the pages below give further information and advice on dealing with theft, accidents, and other emergencies.

Automobile Accidents
Emergency Numbers and Other Information

Issuance of police reports

If you wish to have your passport reissued or receive an insurance payment due to theft, loss, a traffic accident, or other accidents, a police report on the lost or stolen passport will be required. A local police station can create this report. If you would like a consultation regarding your case first, you might want to visit a “koban,” a small police station in charge of police operations in a smaller area. For the location of the local police station, ask the hotel front desk or search on the Internet. The following are cases in which police stations can issue reports to foreign tourists visiting Japan.

- When a foreign national applies for the re-issuance of a passport due to theft or loss at an embassy or consulate
- When a foreign national applies for the re-issuance of a re-entry permit due to theft or loss at the Immigration Bureau
- When a person applies to a foreign government for the re-issuance of a permanent residence permit, driver's license, or identification card issued under foreign laws due to a reason such as theft or loss
- When a person files an insurance claim with a foreign insurance company due to a reason such as theft or loss
- When a person files a claim with a foreign insurance company for damages or treatment costs due to a traffic accident or other accidents.