Shimonoseki (Shimonoseki City, Yamaguchi Pref.)
Shimonoseki is a town imbued with rich history and the bounties of the sea.
Stroll down streets with a rich legacy of Japanese culture and history and indulge your palate with an abundance of seafood.
- (Mar. - May)
- (Jun. - Aug.)
- (Sept. - Nov.)
- (Dec. - Feb.)
- : Culture
- : Gourmet
- : Relaxation
- : Shopping
- : Scenery
- : Convenience
- Karato Market, the "kitchen" of Shimonoseki
Karato Market is a leading gastronomical location in Shimonoseki. Crowds descend on the market until lunchtime every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to savor delicious meals of sushi and other seafood delights served by rows of open-air stalls.
- Chofu, A Castle Town Of Historical Significance
Chofu is a castle town where impressive vestiges of the Edo period, including old samurai residences and their earthen walls, remain standing to this day.
Punctuated by Japanese gardens, Chofu also boasts numerous events that allow visitors a chance to be immersed in history (limited to certain times).
- Kanmon Channel and Akama-Jingu Shrine
Kanmon Channel is an important route used by 700 ships a day. The view of this channel is another unique feature of Shimonoseki. Akama-Jingu Shrine, which commands a spectacular view of Kanmon Channel, is a representative historic site of Shimonoseki.
- By air:
- Haneda Airport - Kita-Kyushu Airport; 1 hour 50 minutes
- Kita-Kyushu Airport - Shimonoseki Station; 1 hour 10 minutes by bus
- Haneda Airport - Yamaguchi-Ube Airport; 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yamaguchi-Ube Airport - Shimonoseki Station; 1 hour 15 minutes by bus
- By train:
- Tokyo Station - Shin-Shimonoseki Station; 5 hours
- Fukuoka Airport - Hakata Station - Shimonoseki Station; 1 hour
- By international ferry:
- Pusan Port (South Korea) - Shimonoseki Port; 13 hours
- Qingdao Port (PRC) - Shimonoseki Port; 36 hours
- Suzhou, Taicang Port (PRC) - Shimonoseki Port; 36 hours
- Tourism Promotion Division, City of Shimonoseki
- http://www.city.shimonoseki.yamaguchi.jp/seisaku/kokusai/gaikoku/(English, Chinese, Korean)
- Tel: +81-832-31-1350
- International Division, City of Shimonoseki
- Tel: +81-832-31-9653